• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
your absolute error should be correct to 1s.f. and then the value should be correct to the same no. od d.p. as ur resulting absolute error is.
like if u hav calculated a length to be 20.324 +/- 0.346cm

then ur correct absolute error should be +/- 0.3
and thus the resulting value should be 20.3 as the absolute error comes to 1 d.p.

for another case you have the speed to be 326.55 +/- 1 m/s
then ur answer should be:

327 m/s
because the absolute errror is correct to 0 s.f.

even if the value does not have a number after the decimal but the absolute error is correct to 1 d.p. or so u write abc.0 insead of just writing abc

hope u get it :)
1357913579 u might wanna check this out ... maybe it will help :) ^_^
Hey thanks dude! I'd totally forgotten about this stuff, even though I've already taken my AS papers. Thanks for the refresher! I owe you one

Reaction score
HI
does anyone know how 2 do this?
9702_s12_qp_12
question 14
thnx in advance!
The Answer will be B that i think so,PLEASE do tell me if i am right?
A: In A weight is acting downward and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is upward and the force P is the normal reaction force by the wall in straight direction.Which means the ladder is not sliding and on the equilibrium postion
B: In B weight is acting downward and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is upward and the force P force P isacting slightly upward because the ladder is sliding .
C: In C weight is acting downward again and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is now not acting against the direction of weight it is slighlt inward.
D : In D weight is acting downward again and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is again not acting against the direction of weight it is slightly Outward
Thus the Answer will be B :)

Reaction score
A: In A weight is acting downward and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is upward and the force P is the normal reaction force by the wall in straight direction.Which means the ladder is not sliding and on the equilibrium postion
B: In B weight is acting downward and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is upward and the force P force P isacting slightly upward because the ladder is sliding .
C: In C weight is acting downward again and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is now not acting against the direction of weight it is slighlt inward.
D : In D weight is acting downward again and the normal reaction force at the end of ladder is again not acting against the direction of weight it is slightly Outward

how to solve Q13 of same ppr ????

Reaction score
how to solve q13 ..m/j12 (12) ? :mad:
calculate the weight acting from the 2 kg block because that is the force moving the 8 kg block too:
2*9.81 = 19.62 N

the resultant force on the block would be this force minus the frictional force:
19.62 - 6 = 13.62 N

thus after calculating the resultant force, now calculate the acceleration with the formula F=ma :
a = F/m
= 13.62/8 = 1.7 m/s^2

is that the ryt answer ?? ^_^
if u don't get it then ask away :)

Reaction score
yep it is

Reaction score
calculate the weight acting from the 2 kg block because that is the force moving the 8 kg block too:
2*9.81 = 19.62 N
the resultant force on the block would be this force minus the frictional force:
19.62 - 6 = 13.62 N
a = F/m= 13.62/8 = 1.7 m/s^2

bro i also calculated like this but the ans is 1.4 ...option a ..... :mad:

Reaction score
Can someone pls help me with this question?
Question: A motorist travelling at 10 m/s can bring his car to rest in a distance of 10 m. If he had been travelling at 30 m/s, in what distance could he bring the car to rest using the same braking force?

Reaction score
Distance between 2 successive heaps (minimum points) = λ/2

39cm covers 5 times of this distance, therefore:
5(λ/2) = 39 cm
λ = 15.6 cm = 15.6 x 10^-2 m

v = fλ
v = 2.14 x 10^3 x 15.6 x 10^-2 = 334 ms-1
Din't get the λ part..

Reaction score
bro i also calculated like this but the ans is 1.4 ...option a ..... :mad:
Sorry dude i made a big mistake and not considered the Tension in my first answer: really apologize for tht:
here is the correct solution:
W=mg=2g(for the hanging part)
EQAUATION 1 : 2g-T=2a
Equa 2: T-6=8a
ADDING BOTH EQUATION WE GET:
2g-6=10a ---equation 3
puttin values in equation 3 we have:
2(9.81)-6/10=1.362 ROUNDED OFF TO 1.4m/s ^2

And thanks brood to helping me:;)

Reaction score
W'12 P13
Q 25.) A lift is supported by two cables, each of length 10m and diameter o.5cm. The lift drops 1mm when a man of mass 80kg steps into the lift. What is the best estimate of the value of the Young Modulus of steel?
The answer is C which is 2x10^11...
Please can u explain how to arrive at the answer.

Reaction score
at first the initial height was 61.then when the pendulum swings the vertical height would be 61cos 18.so u need to to find the gain in potential energy.mg(h2-h2)
Thank you for your reply..
This is where I'm stuck.. how did you get 61cos18??