• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Physics 9702/M/J/09....MAY JUNE 09 paper 1 question# 15....can please anyone tell me that why the answer to this MCQ is option B? The new height after water flows from X to Y would be h/2
that is because formula is MxGxH
the mass decreased is M/2 , height decreased is H/2 ,The G(gravity) remains the same...
so when you multiply them the answer will be MGH/4
hence the option B is correct :)

Reaction score
A car travels one complete lap around a circular track at a constant speed of 120 km/hr. Determine the magnitude of the displacement of the car in a time of 1.0 minute. (The circumference of a circle is 2πR where R is the radius of the circle.)

the displacement is zero because....
displacement=distance moved from one point to another OR you can also say it as the shortest distance between two points..
so when the car will move in a circular track the R(radius) remains the same..that means the distance between the center of the circular track and car is always same..
hence the displacement is zero

if you are asking for the distance covered...it is 2km in one minute

Reaction score
This is an Edexcel question that I'm having trouble with. I'll write my answer and can someone please point out what's wrong with it (4 marks):
Newton's first law states than an object would continue with constant velocity or remain stationary if there;s no resultant force. When the train decelerates, there is a resultant force acting on each person in the direction that the train is travelling in. THis means that person A would fall and collide with person B as persons B and C would remain in their seats due to the fact that they have their backs on chairs which would absorb the force. Person A's motion is an example of a resultant force quoted in Newton's first law.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong in there because not each point matches the mark scheme but that is how I would answer it, so does anyone know how they would go about correcting this?

It depends on how many of your points match if 4 are matching then its okay but if not then probably talk in detail and talk abt the inertia ! If u still have problem give the link of the question or state the points of ms because i cudnt find any other point !

Reaction score
This is an Edexcel question that I'm having trouble with. I'll write my answer and can someone please point out what's wrong with it (4 marks):
Newton's first law states than an object would continue with constant velocity or remain stationary if there;s no resultant force. When the train decelerates, there is a resultant force acting on each person in the direction that the train is travelling in. THis means that person A would fall and collide with person B as persons B and C would remain in their seats due to the fact that they have their backs on chairs which would absorb the force. Person A's motion is an example of a resultant force quoted in Newton's first law.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong in there because not each point matches the mark scheme but that is how I would answer it, so does anyone know how they would go about correcting this?
here's my answer:
in order to counter balance the sudden deceleration of train A resultant force would act in direction opposite of the direction of deceleration. passengers at b and C therefore would stay at their seats. and due to change in velocity and no seat to hold on to the passenger A moves forward eventually clashing with B.

Reaction score
Hi Guys... I have problems solving this question, Please help me...:(

A pile driver supported by a crane is used to drive a vertical steel girder of mass 900kg into the ground. The pile driver has an 80g steel 'hammer' which is raised 4.0m above the top end of the girder then released to strike the end of the girder and drive it further into the ground. Each impact drives the end of the girder 0.4m further into the ground. Assuming the pile driver does not bounce, calculate:
  1. the speed of the pile driver just before impact? ans: 8.94m/s
  2. the speed just after impact? ans: 0.730m/s
  3. the force of friction on the girder as it penetrates the ground? ans:653N
Thank youuu soo much for helping..:)

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with this question?

I just can't seem to get the right answer :(

A particle moves with SHM (simple harmonic motion) of period 4 seconds and amplitude 4 metres. its displacement from the equilibrium position is x. find the time taken for it to travel -

a) from x= 4m to x= 3m
b) from x= -4m to x= 3m

Thank you very very much. :)

JazakAllahu Khairan

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with this question?

I just can't seem to get the right answer :(

A particle moves with SHM (simple harmonic motion) of period 4 seconds and amplitude 4 metres. its displacement from the equilibrium position is x. find the time taken for it to travel -

a) from x= 4m to x= 3m
b) from x= -4m to x= 3m

Thank you very very much. :)

JazakAllahu Khairan

a)
Angular velocity=w= 1.5708 rad/s

Time it takes for quarter oscillation(ie from 0m to 4m)= 4/4 = 1s
or the technical way :)
x= xo sin(wt)
4=4 sin(1.5708 * t)​
t = 1s​

Time it takes to reach 3m from zero(starting position):
x= xo sin(wt)
sin(1.5708*t) = 3/4​
t= 0.5399​

therefore, time from 4m to 3m= 1-0.5399 = 0.46s

b) Time it takes from -4m to 3m = 1+ 0.5399 = 1.54s

Let me knw if u want a picture to help u visualize.

Reaction score

Newtons first law states that a object would continue in its state of motion unless a external force is applied. As the train decelerate, all the three people would continue to move at the original acceleration of the train. Person B and C would be stopped by the seats as the seats absorb the momentum of the people. Whereas, person A would move forward due to inertia causing him to collide with the person B. Therefore, person C's seat would be the safest.

I dont know if my one is gud enuf.

Reaction score
Heyya guys :)
FRom amongst the three graphs of electricity... the last one 'velocity against distance travelled by a charged particle initially at rest in a uniform electric field' :

why do we use the formula:-
2as = v^2 - u^2
??
and then make the graph?? i don't get it! :/

Reaction score
a)
Angular velocity=w= 1.5708 rad/s

Time it takes for quarter oscillation(ie from 0m to 4m)= 4/4 = 1s
or the technical way :)
x= xo sin(wt)
4=4 sin(1.5708 * t)​
t = 1s​

Time it takes to reach 3m from zero(starting position):
x= xo sin(wt)
sin(1.5708*t) = 3/4​
t= 0.5399​

therefore, time from 4m to 3m= 1-0.5399 = 0.46s

b) Time it takes from -4m to 3m = 1+ 0.5399 = 1.54s

Let me knw if u want a picture to help u visualize.

Thank you so much! :)
It helped a lot. (y)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, AsSalamoAlaikum Wr Wb...

To get things organized in a better way, I am making this thread. As othewise, some queries remain unanswered!

So post your PHYSICS doubts in this thread. InshaAllah other people here will help me and you all. :D ;)

NOTE: If any doubts in the pastpapers, please post the link! You can find links here!

Any Physics related notes and links will be added here in this post. Feel free to provide the links to your notes around the forum, or any other websites! :)
Thanks!
Jazak Allah Khair!

Physics Notes:

Some links & Notes - by destined007

Physics Practical Tips - by arlery

Notes for A2 Direct Sensing (Applications) - shared by sweetiepie

Physics Summarised Notes (Click to download)

AS and A-Level Physics Definitions

A2: Physics Revision notes - by smzimran

Paper:5 Finding uncerainty in log - by XPFMember

Physics Paper 5 tips - by arlery

Physics Compiled Pastpapers: <Credits to CaptainDanger for sharing this..>

Here are the compiled A level topical Physics questions in PDF form...

Paper 1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?tocg6ha6ihkwd

Paper 2 & Paper 4 : http://www.mediafire.com/?g65j51stacmy33c

(Source : http://www.alevelforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14)

thnanks a lot for these notes man
but the mediafire link for paper 2 and paper 4 is not working
whenever i click on it i get a message that the link is valid or the files have been deleted

Reaction score
Hi,

Do u have alll the past papers for 2012(June and Nov) PHYSICS? I can't find some 2012 on this site.
Also I need further maths (all modules including mechanics) and Maths and CHEMISTRY.