• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
part (a) (i) change in gravitational potential energy.
The gravitational potential energy has the formula GMm/x where x is the distance. We have to calculate the change in GPE so we will find the difference for each of the quantities in the formula. G M and m are constant, and hence the only thing that varies is the x. Now x is equal to the difference in the two distances. One being the (R + h1) and other being the (R + h2). h1 and h2 are distances from the surface of earth, whereby we need the distances from the centre of the earth.
Hence the final formula would become {GMm/(R+h1)} - {GMm/(R+h2)}. You could simplify this to get to the answer in the marking scheme. :)

Reaction score
The gravitational potential energy has the formula GMm/x where x is the distance. We have to calculate the change in GPE so we will find the difference for each of the quantities in the formula. G M and m are constant, and hence the only thing that varies is the x. Now x is equal to the difference in the two distances. One being the (R + h1) and other being the (R + h2). h1 and h2 are distances from the surface of earth, whereby we need the distances from the centre of the earth.
Hence the final formula would become {GMm/(R+h1)} - {GMm/(R+h2)}. You could simplify this to get to the answer in the marking scheme. :)
thank u so much..:)

Reaction score
Plz help me with this ques also: Q.5 part (b) of this paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s08_qp_4.pdf
here is the ms : http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s08_ms_4.pdf

Reaction score
Well! For this, you just remember that connecting capacitors in series decreases their effective capacitance while being in parallel increases it.(It is almost the same as you used to do with resistors in AS). Anyway, so two resistors in series connected with a similar arrangement in parallel will provide you with an effective capacitance of 4500 uF. (Try calculating the capacitance of the whole arrangement and you'll get the answer 4500 uF which signifies it is correct! :) )

Reaction score
Two bodies of equal mass are moving towards each other ,one with a speed of 40cm/s and the other with a speed of 60cm/s>they stick together on impact.What is the velocity after impact?

Can someone please explain how i am to go about this question?the answer is 10cm/s by the way ..but i dont understand this question

Reaction score
Two bodies of equal mass are moving towards each other ,one with a speed of 40cm/s and the other with a speed of 60cm/s>they stick together on impact.What is the velocity after impact?

Can someone please explain how i am to go about this question?the answer is 10cm/s by the way ..but i dont understand this question

Momentum is always conserved, hence:

total initial momentum = total final momentum

Before impact : Since they are moving towards each other, the velocity of one is negative with respect to the other.

After impact: As they stick together after impact, they move along with the same velocity. Together, they have mass 2m.

60m + (-40m) = 2m x v
v= 10 cms

Reaction score
Well! For this, you just remember that connecting capacitors in series decreases their effective capacitance while being in parallel increases it.(It is almost the same as you used to do with resistors in AS). Anyway, so two resistors in series connected with a similar arrangement in parallel will provide you with an effective capacitance of 4500 uF. (Try calculating the capacitance of the whole arrangement and you'll get the answer 4500 uF which signifies it is correct! :) )
Thank u once again..:)

Reaction score
yaar guyz plz answer my question also.....:(

All you have to do is use an A.C signal generator connected to the coil. The frequency of the current can then be simply changed by varying the settings on the signal generator. All the best for your paper!

Reaction score
HI all. Can anyone solve this question for me and explain its concept and working plz. ill be grateful

Question number 4 . part( b ). sub-part (ii).
Paper 4
May/June 2008
Physics

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
what is not conserved in nuclear processes?

A energy and mass together
B nucleon number
C neutron number
D charge
Why the answer is neutron number? Is the charge is conserved?
someone can help me ??

Reaction score
what is not conserved in nuclear processes?

A energy and mass together
B nucleon number
C neutron number
D charge
Why the answer is neutron number? Is the charge is conserved?
someone can help me ??

Neutron number is not conserved as neutrons can decay to form a proton and an electron. Both the initial net charge and final net charge in this nuclear reaction is zero, charge is always conserved.

Reaction score
HI all. Can anyone solve this question for me and explain its concept and working plz. ill be grateful

Question number 4 . part( b ). sub-part (ii).
Paper 4
May/June 2008
Physics

Thanks in advance

Net potential = potential due to A + potential due to B

electric potential = Q/ 4πε0r , here r is given by x

using the first formula:

0= (3.6 × 10–9) / (4πε0 × 18 × 10–2) + q / (4πε0 × 12 × 10–2)
q= –2.4 × 10–9 C

Reaction score
I need Notes for Gravitation, Circular Motion, Geostationary satellites and Momentum!