• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
1. A metal ball is dropped into a tall cylinder of oil. The ball initially accelerates but soon reaches a terminal velocity.

a. By considering the forces in the metal ball bearing, explain why it first accelerates but then reaches terminal velocity.

b. Describe how you would show that the metal ball reaches terminal velocity.

A metal ball is dropped into a tall cylinder of oil. The ball initially accelerates but soon reaches a terminal velocity.

a. By considering the forces in the metal ball bearing, explain why it first accelerates but then reaches terminal velocity.

b. Describe how you would show that the metal ball reaches terminal velocity.

Reaction score

for question 3aii : its very simple if u read the text book you can find detailed explanation about this topic, anyhow .. take a ruler and put it on the line of the graph so that when line starts deviating from straight path its the point that should be marked L where hook's law will not apply because force is no longer proportional to extension . in the next question it asks about the spring constant and since we know that f=ke where k is a constant. to deduce value of k from graph we know that k=f/e. the gradient of the graph is e/f so that k = 1/gradient

bi: the circumference of the circle is pi x d ...the change in length of the wire occurs over the pulley ...we know the pulley turns an angle 6.5 so the amount of increase or extension is = 6.5/360 x 3pi..............6.5/360 will give us the amount of increase at the circumference ..............i hope u understood !

Reaction score
Another one..
Oct/Nov 2010 - QP 22 - Question 1 - part (b).

I have no idea about doing questions related to horizontal components, the ones with tan, etc.
Could someone give me a complete explanation of how to deal with such questions?

QP: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_22.pdf
MS: http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_ms_22.pdf

Thanks.
but the question is not about component of vectors ?! its about uncertainty isnt it ?

Reaction score
for question 3aii : its very simple if u read the text book you can find detailed explanation about this topic, anyhow .. take a ruler and put it on the line of the graph so that when line starts deviating from straight path its the point that should be marked L where hook's law will not apply because force is no longer proportional to extension . in the next question it asks about the spring constant and since we know that f=ke where k is a constant. to deduce value of k from graph we know that k=f/e. the gradient of the graph is e/f so that k = 1/gradient

bi: the circumference of the circle is pi x d ...the change in length of the wire occurs over the pulley ...we know the pulley turns an angle 6.5 so the amount of increase or extension is = 6.5/360 x 3pi..............6.5/360 will give us the amount of increase at the circumference ..............i hope u understood !

Hey thank you soo much :)

Reaction score
Hello, help needed for Nov 2010 paper 2 no.4 (b) the whole part
What is the region Es?? and how to find it?
please help and by the way can someone give a good definition for strain energy??

Reaction score

no. 6
so just stretch the dotted lines till fig 6.2
the upperpart is the same as in fig 6.1
in the 32.4 cm just draw a loop
that's it.

(c)so after the sketch you see that you have antinode on the top then a node a loop and a node
dist between antinode and node = (lambda/4)
dist between 2 nodes = (lambda/2)
(lambda/2)=32.4
therefore (lambda/4)=16.2cm
this means that the antinode will be 0.5 cm above the tube

hope you've understood!:)

Reaction score
no. 6
so just stretch the dotted lines till fig 6.2
the upperpart is the same as in fig 6.1
in the 32.4 cm just draw a loop
that's it.

(c)so after the sketch you see that you have antinode on the top then a node a loop and a node
dist between antinode and node = (lambda/4)
dist between 2 nodes = (lambda/2)
(lambda/2)=32.4
therefore (lambda/4)=16.2cm
this means that the antinode will be 0/5 cm above the tube

hope you've understood!:)

Hey thank you soo much :)

Btw, Strain energy is the energy stored in a body due to change of shape ! :)

Reaction score

amplitude of wave A = 3 (maximum disp. from first graph)
amplitude of wave B=2

but phase difference between A and B is π radians.
It is said in the question that the waves are at a common point (point P)

therefore, from principle of superposition resultant amplitude = amplitude of A - amplitude of B

This is equal to 1

Intensity is proportional to amplitude squared

At A, intensity = I and amplitude=3
hence, I=k(3^2)
k=constant=I/9

so, if resultant amplitude is 1, intensity=k(1^2)

this is equal to I/9

this is for the NOV05 question..

Note: I have ignored factors of 10^-3 in amplitude because it would cancel out anyway.

Reaction score
amplitude of wave A = 3 (maximum disp. from first graph)
amplitude of wave B=2

but phase difference between A and B is π radians.
It is said in the question that the waves are at a common point (point P)

therefore, from principle of superposition resultant amplitude = amplitude of A - amplitude of B

This is equal to 1

Intensity is proportional to amplitude squared

At A, intensity = I and amplitude=3
hence, I=k(3^2)
k=constant=I/9

so, if resultant amplitude is 1, intensity=k(1^2)

this is equal to I/9

this is for the NOV05 question..

Note: I have ignored factors of 10^-3 in amplitude because it would cancel out anyway.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu :)

Reaction score

So for the gradient just draw a tangent at t=0.8 s and use 2 points.

7(b) (i) Kirchoff's first law states that the sum of currents arriving a junction = the sum of currents leaving the junction
therefore, I1+I2=I3

(ii) 1. 2nd law is that the sum of emfs around any closed circuit = the sum of pds . Therefore,
E2 = I2R2 + I3R3
2. E1 - E2 = I1R1 - I2R2

Reaction score
Hey ppl in paper 2 sometimes there is a number involving estimates of certain things for e.g the mass of a protractor- 10 g
could someone just list some quantities whose value must be learnt

Reaction score
Can someone Please Please Please answer my Question's :(:cry: (it got ignored 3 times)

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w10_qp_23.pdf
7bii) I don't get why charged particle is not an isolated system

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w11_qp_13.pdf
29) I just don't understand the question, I looked at examiners report and it said that the lines R to S has a constant phase difference

I will thank you a lot :)