• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Alpha Particles
Certain radionuclides of high atomic mass (Ra226, U238, Pu239) decay by the emission of alpha particles. These alpha particles are tightly bound units of two neutrons and two protons each (He4 nucleus) and have a positive charge. Emission of an alpha particle from the nucleus results in a decrease of two units of atomic number (Z) and four units of mass number (A). Alpha particles are emitted with discrete energies characteristic of the particular transformation from which they originate. All alpha particles from a particular radionuclide transformation will have identical energies.

Beta Particles
A nucleus with an unstable ratio of neutrons to protons may decay through the emission of a high speed electron called a beta particle. This results in a net change of one unit of atomic number (Z). Beta particles have a negative charge and the beta particles emitted by a specific radionuclide will range in energy from near zero up to a maximum value, which is characteristic of the particular transformation.

Gamma-rays
A nucleus which is in an excited state may emit one or more photons (packets of electromagnetic radiation) of discrete energies. The emission of gamma rays does not alter the number of protons or neutrons in the nucleus but instead has the effect of moving the nucleus from a higher to a lower energy state (unstable to stable). Gamma ray emission frequently follows beta decay, alpha decay, and other nuclear decay processes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ability of radioactivity to pass through materials is called its penetrating ability.It depends on the size of the radioactive particle.a-particles are the biggest,b-particles are very much smaller and g-rays have no mass.The bigger the particle,the more likely it is to collide with the atoms of the material.The collision will stop the particle going through the material.a-particles are the biggest and are least able to penetrate a material.Paper will stop them and even in air a-particles only travel for a few centimetres before they are stopped.b-particles are stopped by a few millimetres of aluminium.g-rays are able to penetrate the most and will even find their way through metres of concrete.

Reaction score
take out the wavelengths of both the frequencies by the formula v=fλ
then use the formula of destructive path difference to determine the number of minima for both the wavelengths you have calculated. I hope i'm clear :)
Whats d formula for destructive path interfernce???

Reaction score
can anyone please explain how brightness is linked with the formula a = lambda x D/x :(
the further the distance D the more the wave will spread out, the less the intensity which means a lower amplitude too because intensity is proportional to A^2..did u get it? :)

Reaction score
yep the table well i dunt understand how to gt the answer do we use the formula P=V^2/R throut or js add the 1.5kw depding on the switch being closed confusd :(

ok it's pretty simple .. dont worry ...

the first row .. power is zero because S1 is open ..

the second one ... S3 is open .. so we dont count resistor C, S2 is closed so we dont count resistor B .. we only need A's poer which is 1.5kW .. which they told us is the power for each resistor ..

the third one .. we only count A and C .. using 1/R + 1/R .. calculate the resistance to be 1/38.4 + 1/38.4 .. the resistance is 19.2 ohms .. THEN USING P=V^2/R = THE ANSER IS 3

the fourth one .. A and B are counted so . resistance ins eries is R1+R2 = 76.8 ohms .. using the same formula u get .. 0.75kW

the fifth one .. is all three resistore .. 1/76.8 + 1/38.4 .. and the same way u get 2.25kW

Reaction score
Physics in Cie is really messed up and stupid , the questions are hard themselfes and on top of that , they give us 1 hour to do the paper ! , 1 hour !!!! are u ******* insane , we cant even think cause of this messed time limit , plus the text book is ******* fucked up , Physics is insane , i soo regret taking CIE physics , worst decision of my life , no matter how hard to study for it , u cant do good , Cambridge doesnt reward you for ur hardwork .

Who agrees with me ???

hey calm down .. theres no point of rebelling against CIE the night before this exam.. get through it .. cancel your grade later if you dont need it bro ..

Reaction score
Physics in Cie is really messed up and stupid , the questions are hard themselves and on top of that , they give us 1 hour to do the paper ! , 1 hour !!!! are you insane????? , we cant even think cause of this messed time limit , plus there is nothing in the text book , Physics is insane , i soo regret taking CIE physics , worst decision of my life , no matter how hard to study for it , u cant do good , Cambridge doesn't reward you for ur handwork .

Who agrees with me ???

Reaction score
hey calm down .. theres no point of rebelling against CIE the night before this exam.. get through it .. cancel your grade later if you dont need it bro ..
But its soo hard , iv studied so hard , and now i dont feel any confidence , i feel stupid looking at this paper...

Reaction score
But its soo hard , iv studied so hard , and now i dont feel any confidence , i feel stupid looking at this paper...

i know how you feel .. this my third attempt at physics A levels. i know every paper by heart , i know all the formulas and all the tricks .. i just dont have the grades. lifes tough.

Reaction score
i know how you feel .. this my third attempt at physics A levels. i know every paper by heart , i know all the formulas and all the tricks .. i just dont have the grades. lifes tough.

aw man, wishing you all the best, this time ull ace it! :D

Reaction score
Woah 3d time ! ,thats what im saying man CIE is rediculous , I really dont know what I am gonna do with my life , cause I did bad in chem , good in bio , and physics i don't think i can do good , please provide me with a soulution , i am gonna attempt the makeup exam , but if i fail in that as-well , i am too scared to repeat at CIE , cause its so unpredictable , i am thinking of changing to edexcel , dont know what to do FLM!!!!

Reaction score
Woah 3d time ! ,thats what im saying man CIE is rediculous , I really dont know what I am gonna do with my life , cause I did bad in chem , good in bio , and physics i don't think i can do good , please provide me with a soulution , i am gonna attempt the makeup exam , but if i fail in that as-well , i am too scared to repeat at CIE , cause its so unpredictable , i am thinking of changing to edexcel , dont know what to do FLM!!!!

i don't know anything about edexcel .. i didn't have a choice so i never explored .. i guess self study is the worst thing to do with a levels .. and that wasnt a choice i made for myself either .. i don't have a teacher LOL .. get a trained person to help you out .. people get As all the time .. it isn't impossible.

Reaction score

self confidence is what you need bro....if you've worked hard, then leave the rest to Allah. He is the best judge don't curse CIE be strong withing yourself...inshAllah youll do good! Give it ur best shot...