• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
View attachment 54041

can anyone answer plzzzz?????
basically here the voltmeter acts as a resistor. So consider it as a resistor
so when its resistance is 1K ohms , the voltage divides in 1:1 ratio
but when its resistance increases to 1000000 ohms, which is huge compared to 1000 ohms, therefore almost all the voltage goes to the voltmeter .. as in a series circuit current is constant and v is proportional to r :)

Reaction score
Since it is a parallel circuit, the pd across the (variable r. and a resistor in series with it) and the other single resistor(rightmost) is the same (i.e the same value as the emf of the battery). Resistance of the rightmost resistor is also unchanged. Hence V/R=I is unchanged.

When the resistance of vr is increased, pd across it will increase and reading on the voltmeter will therefore decrease.

Reaction score
upload_2015-5-25_19-30-3.png

I thought X and Y is actually the plastic region??
as shown here:
upload_2015-5-25_19-30-47.png

But then the answer is D :/ ???

Reaction score
Since it is a parallel circuit, the pd across the (variable r. and a resistor in series with it) and the other single resistor(rightmost) is the same (i.e the same value as the emf of the battery). Resistance of the rightmost resistor is also unchanged. Hence V/R=I is unchanged.

When the resistance of vr is increased, pd across it will increase and reading on the voltmeter will therefore decrease.
but doesn't I depend on the ratio of resistances? for example if the emf is 10
variable resistor & the resistor with voltmeter have a combined resistance of 50 while the resistor on the right 20
in that case I will be = 10/ 14= O.71
but if now the variable resistor's resistance has increased so that the combined resistance now is 70
now I= 10/ (70*20/20+70) ,I= 0.6 :/

Reaction score
upload_2015-5-26_14-59-55.png

Can someone please give me notes on this states of solid liquid gas and evaporation boiling condensation melting freezing etc... because i get confused with these questions and i can't find it in the text book :/

Reaction score
Yess! Please could you explain?
It's evaporation because evaporation is a process which depends on the velocity of the water molecules. If the molecules at the surface possess enough energy then they are able to escape the forces that hold the molecules together and then escape as vapour. But the question states that all the molecules have the same speed, hence evaporation cannot occur

Reaction score
Voltmeter normally has very high resistance to make sure that current doesn't flow through it when it measures the pd across an object. It cannot be A because since the voltmeter is connected in series , the current would have to pass through the voltmeter before it can reach the ammeter. Very high resistance so no current passes through.