• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

Note that we r asked to find I2 i.e. the current across a fixed resistor..
so maximum current will be:- V/R= 12/6 = 2.0 A
and i think that the minimum current value is zero just bcuz if we take the value of the variable resistor less than the value of fixed resistor then all the current will flow through the low resistance loop giving zero reading on the ammeter for the second loop

Reaction score
Hi, I was doing this paper http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w12_qp_12.pdf and I got stuck hardcore on question 37. The answer should be C apparently but it makes no logical sense to me. Can someone explain it to me?
the answer is C becuz here we have 2 resistors that will half the value of the current...
Suppose that the value of one resistor is 2 ohms n the voltage supply is 12V
so for first circuit current will be:- 12/2= 6A
while for the second circuit it will be:- 12/4=3A (NOTE: resistors are in series so they will add up to 4)
thats the reason y the current value won't remain the same..so it is incorrect

Reaction score
Hi, I was doing this paper http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_w12_qp_12.pdf and I got stuck hardcore on question 37. The answer should be C apparently but it makes no logical sense to me. Can someone explain it to me?

Maybe you didn´t read the question properly? They are asking for which row is NOT correct. Maybe that´s why you dont understand why the answer is C? The answer is C because it´s wrong! - Thats what they are asking for! :D

Reaction score
Note that we r asked to find I2 i.e. the current across a fixed resistor..
so maximum current will be:- V/R= 12/6 = 2.0 A
and i think that the minimum current value is zero just bcuz if we take the value of the variable resistor less than the value of fixed resistor then all the current will flow through the low resistance loop giving zero reading on the ammeter for the second loop

Reaction score
Tulaib
Q25
as wire is of same material the E is same
E = stress/strain = (F*original length)/(A*extension)
extension = (F/EA )*original length
so extension is directly proportional of length and inversely proportional to A
area is squared of diameter(multiply by 1/4 pi but thats a constant)
so extension is directly proportional of length and inversely proportional to square of d
as the diameter is 1/2 the extension increase by 4
length is 1/4 so extension decrease by 1/4
8 * 1/4 * 4 = 8

Reaction score
y cant we use 7 m here?
it's h which means vertical distance. we've done this at o levels.
here is an example that pressure is affected by height alone.
P15.18.gif

Reaction score
I have an A* in O level phy, was unsure about h, so posted my doubt -_-
no problem. i was just telling you that it was in o level as well.
if you want the complete reason see the derivation of rho g h which is indeed in our syllabus
sorry for very rough drawing. it's a pain to draw in paint:

Attachments

• upload_2014-4-14_12-32-34.png
    upload_2014-4-14_12-32-34.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 7