• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 5 notes?

Reaction score
Error bars can even be horizontal right?

yep
can any one plz help on these 3 QS
1. SHOULD THE NO. OF SIGNIFICANT FIGURES BE THE SAME THROUGHOUT A COLUMN OR THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES?
2 THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES OF AN ERROR SHOULD ALWAYS BE EQUAL TO THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES OF THE QUANTITY IN WHICH THE ERROR IS?
3. SHOULD GRADIENT AND FOLLOWING CALCULATIONS ALWAYS BE IN 3 SIGNIFICANT FIGURES OR DOES THAT DEPEND ON THE VALUES PLOTTED
Ill be very grateful ...

Reaction score
yep
can any one plz help on these 3 QS
1. SHOULD THE NO. OF SIGNIFICANT FIGURES BE THE SAME THROUGHOUT A COLUMN OR THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES?
2 THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES OF AN ERROR SHOULD ALWAYS BE EQUAL TO THE NO OF DECIMAL PLACES OF THE QUANTITY IN WHICH THE ERROR IS?
3. SHOULD GRADIENT AND FOLLOWING CALCULATIONS ALWAYS BE IN 3 SIGNIFICANT FIGURES OR DOES THAT DEPEND ON THE VALUES PLOTTED
Ill be very grateful ...

The answer to your second question, Errors are always upto one to two sf. But keep it to 1sf. Best.

Reaction score
but wont it be wrong to write 2.34+_ 0.1
but to write 0.10
and thankyou
It would be wrong.U can only add a zero if u are sure your uncertainty is correct to 2 sig fig.
It is better to write it as 2.3+-.1
Experimental error are best given correct to 1 significant figure

Reaction score
How do u calculate absolute error when you're filling in a table? For eg in M/J 2007 P5 we are given values of length (of conducting putty) and the uncertainty is same for all values (+/- 0.4 cm). We're asked to calculate l squared and the absolute errors of l squared. I got all the absolute errors as +/- 0.8 which is wrong. I checked out the examiner report but it's not helpful :(. Could anybody help?

Reaction score
Log AUC= (Log of Maximum-Log on Minimum)/2
Eg: IF the say X=500+-5
then auc= ((log505)-(log495))/2

PS- I usually keep the value to the same number of sf as the raw data that i used to calculate it. And the error to 1 sf below the raw data. (be careful if you have 1 sf i raw data then keep both the calculated value and error to 1 sf) Usually the error is left to 1sf but the marking schemes allow more sf.

Hope this is helpful and sorry for the late reply guys.

Proudly to be Lankan lion
can u plz tell me how to find the error in question 2 b part of
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/...nd AS Level/Physics (9702)/9702_s10_qp_52.pdf

Reaction score
Does anomaly count in error bars i mean the line should touch the anomaly or not