• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS PAPER 4 (ATP) DISSCUSSION

Reaction score
I've lost a total of one and a half mark in this paper. :cry:

I, who was thinking of getting atleast a distinction in this subject. I should at any cost make no silly mistake in the forthcoming paper 1. Pfff...

Reaction score
usama1993 said:
Depletion said:
i guess now its ok...we can discuss freely!!>.
yea,wat was the answer for the heater which cannot heat the water above 60 degree???
{nothing to do with heat losss} rite???
somthing with the heater itself?!??? its paper 4 physics!!!
all answers which make sense are accepted...
I wrote that THE THERMOMETER is out of range,,,,,,
Because in the diagram they have shown that at room temperature (20 C) the thermometer was already registering half of its lenght :p

So maybe it would have a range of only 60 degrees : :D :D :D :D
MY GOODNESS what thinking you guys have ?????? its because the water contains impurities which lower its boiling point !!!

Reaction score
Impurities present will INCREASE the boiling point not lower it! It lowers the melting point

Reaction score
Shiki Misaki said:
A stopwatch since the readings are more accurate and no human reaction time error can occur compared to the clock.

Edit>> How about your answer?
Oops! that can be wrong ....... the right answer is clock guys... because to take the reading in stop watch we stop the time and record the time !!!! this causes an inaccurate value and moreover clock is used because of a higher time limit of 30 min where the stop watch takes the reading as 0.01s !!!!!! i nearly made the mistake of writing stopwatch>>>

Reaction score
Prince III said:
Shiki Misaki said:
@ Prince III: To check whether both strings are of the same distance, in my answer I stated that the readings are taken from the centre and that both the readings of the metre rules should be the same. So i won't be penalized for this.

ohh, if you have stated centre then you wont :)

Shiki Misaki said:
Secondly, when d<15, the clamps will oscillate with a smaller force, therefore resulting in a greater time(for one oscillation), true! But I have also stated that there would be a greater percentage error. I may be given half of the mark, no? :S

yes you might be half credited :)

Shiki Misaki said:
>> Hey I'm so confused right now.
If d>15cm, the time taken for the set of rotations(20) would have been greater than the time taken for another set of rotations(9) when d<15cm, innit? Please confirm.

yes

Shiki Misaki said:
2nd edit>> How come the eye is placed above the clamp? :S
The eye shouldn't be placed perpendicular to the clamp by the way?! (to avoid parallax error when recording the number of rotations)
No! not at all
it should be above
did you see the third diagram >?
fig . 1.3

that was the picture if we put our eye on the top

FOR THE STOPWATCH QUESTION

guys we have to use stopwatch (CONFIRM)

first of all there was nothing written in question that the experiment requires more than 1 minutes okay !
and most of the stpwatches measure 60 seconds
more over " 0.01" this does not shows that the stopwatch can only measure 1 minutes , this shows how accurate the stopwatch is , stpwatch can give upto 2 decimal place value (very very very accurate )

secondly i can prove that the experiment wont take more than 1 minute
the minimum d we could take was 15cm below that we can not take as written in another question
the time for 1 oscilation when d= 15 was 2.74s

now even if we take maximum oscillations =20

2.74 x 20 = 54.8 seconds (less than 1 minute )

So the experiment wont require more than 1 minute :)

HOPE everyone got that!

this was the easiest question
moreover stopwatch would give us better control over time to measure (we could easily record the value and then reset it )
how coulds we rset wall clock ?

and i have never seen someone calculating oscilations with wall clock
seems stupid infact :)
Oops! that can be wrong ....... the right answer is clock guys... because to take the reading in stop watch we stop the time and record the time !!!! this causes an inaccurate value and moreover clock is used because of a higher time limit of 30 min where the stop watch takes the reading as 0.01s !!!!!! i nearly made the mistake of writing stopwatch>>>

Reaction score
hahahahahahaha ROFLMAO
all are stupids who are saying we have to use wall clock :)

Reaction score
rose1700 said:
hahahahahahaha ROFLMAO
all are stupids who are saying we have to use wall clock :)

damn u rose1700 ur a godness of all..!!!
no one knows the exact answer rite away,,!!!
so dnt just get too excited!!...
the clock seems to many that its the best answer..!!!
dnt just critisiz the others..calling then "STUPIDS"..so cheap dude

Reaction score
i dont think we need a large range for example 30 minutes for the experiment
this experiment needed less than 1 mintue PROVED by prince :)

so i too think it's stopwatch

Reaction score
member said:

for sure a stopwatch seems to be the correct answer as for most questions in the past papers the STOPWATCH has been used quite often in some experiments to decrease inaccuracy in measurements!!!
but for that question its different...depending on the way we take it or understand it!> :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :geek:

Reaction score
Depletion said:
member said:

for sure a stopwatch seems to be the correct answer as for most questions in the past papers the STOPWATCH has been used quite often in some experiments to decrease inaccuracy in measurements!!!
but for that question its different...depending on the way we take it or understand it!> :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :geek:

okay.... so can you tell me where was it written that the experiment needed more than a minute to carry out ?

or can you simply tell why wall clock would be used ?

Reaction score
i wrote stopwatch too. Anyway what do you think is gonna be the percentage to get A in physics basing yourself only of the paper 2 and 4? Additional question:Does A = 1 in mauritius?

Reaction score
basch said:
i wrote stopwatch too. Anyway what do you think is gonna be the percentage to get A in physics basing yourself only of the paper 2 and 4? Additional question:Does A = 1 in mauritius?

i think p2 was tough so percentile this year would fall :)
80 % would be enough for A grade

Reaction score
Didn't the question say that the temperature change was measured for every minute for thirty minutes? Or something like that?
For the heater thing right?

Reaction score
Pals_1010 said:
Didn't the question say that the temperature change was measured for every minute for thirty minutes? Or something like that?
For the heater thing right?

this question about stpwatch and wall clock was askhed on the second question ???????

Reaction score
Oh really? Sorry then :)

Oops. I had the impression it was on the heater question. Sorry sorry just ignore