• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics paper 33

Reaction score
Parralax error in reading the thermometer, one reading is not sufficent for an accurate result, imprecise thermometer, external conditions like air might cause temperature change
Improvements: Avoiding parralax error, taking more than one reading(average), use of thermocouple as a more accurate thermometer, performing the experiment in such an environment that external conditions are reduced to minimum.

Reaction score
Can't be quite sure unless I see an example question but these are usually accepted:
Errors: heat loss thru walls of container, water evaporates, and idk know to phrase this but its like human reaction error or something when you have to take a temperature reading and the corresponding time reading
Improvs: Insulation, lid, data loggers
If anyone has more please share.
look at the answers for nov11 ppr35 Q2 part(h) .. you can see the possible limitations and imp. there

Reaction score
look at the answers for nov11 ppr35 Q2 part(h) .. you can see the possible limitations and imp. there
Yep, lookin thru those now thnx.
Also in the same mark scheme, they say to draw a conclusion about proportionality of k "tested against a suitable criterion by the student." Whats this mean?

Reaction score
Yep, lookin thru those now thnx.
Also in the same mark scheme, they say to draw a conclusion about proportionality of k "tested against a suitable criterion by the student." Whats this mean?
i have no idea .. they write this in all exams and i dnt undrstant it at all !!!

Reaction score
Ok in the last part of Q1 where we find the gradient intercepts and constants, if the eqn is like "a = c/d - e/f" and you get a -ve intercept FROM THE GRAPH, do we replace e/f with " - intercept" to get +ve value, or just "intercept" because there already is a - in front of the e/f?
Ugh this is so confusing idk if I've explained it right...o_O

Reaction score
Ok in the last part of Q1 where we find the gradient intercepts and constants, if the eqn is like "a = c/d - e/f" and you get a -ve intercept FROM THE GRAPH, do we replace e/f with " - intercept" to get +ve value, or just "intercept" because there already is a - in front of the e/f?
Ugh this is so confusing idk if I've explained it right...o_O
replace -e/f by the negative y-intercept .. so both the negative signs will now cancel each other out

Reaction score
i have no idea .. they write this in all exams and i dnt undrstant it at all !!!
Been lookin thru forums and there's different methods...
To find the % uncertainty its either "k2-k1/k2 x 100" or "k2-k1/k1 x 100" to find % uncertainty of k. My logic says to use k1 in denominator, cuz that'll give the greatest possible uncertinty...
They also say to compare that with a 20% uncertainty reference value.
Ppl say if its >20% its proportional, but others say its proportional if <2%.
Sooo...confused...

Reaction score
Been lookin thru forums and there's different methods...
To find the % uncertainty its either "k2-k1/k2 x 100" or "k2-k1/k1 x 100" to find % uncertainty of k. My logic says to use k1 in denominator, cuz that'll give the greatest possible uncertinty...
They also say to compare that with a 20% uncertainty reference value.
Ppl say if its >20% its proportional, but others say its proportional if <2%.
Sooo...confused...
Ugg!!! this is really confusing :s .. but you're right logic says that the denominator should be k1 but then how do we know if it's proportional or not ?? which one is right ??
btw mmm is asked someone who said that you could jst look at the values of k and if thy r the same then thy r proportional if thy r different thn thy r nt ... I'm nt sure of this but it's alot easier :D

Reaction score
Ugg!!! this is really confusing :s .. but you're right logic says that the denominator should be k1 but then how do we know if it's proportional or not ?? which one is right ??
btw mmm is asked someone who said that you could jst look at the values of k and if thy r the same then thy r proportional if thy r different thn thy r nt ... I'm nt sure of this but it's alot easier :D
xD Ik that method, its what I've been using in lab class and mocks: if both k's are approximately equal then they are proportional. That's teacher approved actually. But then I saw these posts and the mark scheme also said "test against suitable criterion" and now idkkkkk D:

Reaction score
Thanks shahyAmr. Good luck to all who's giving 33 today. Seems quite easy. But you never know.

Reaction score
xD Ik that method, its what I've been using in lab class and mocks: if both k's are approximately equal then they are proportional. That's teacher approved actually. But then I saw these posts and the mark scheme also said "test again suitable criterion" and now idkkkkk D:
hahahaha :D
then jst use this way cuz its alot easier and less confusing plus the person I asked knows how to solve these questions very well so i think i'll use ths method

Reaction score
when we find out Y-Intercept and the gradient .... do we have to mention its units too????