• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 1

Reaction score
It is under an metal which is nit earthed..so current can pass thru metal into the wire so one can get a shock when touching !

Idea that states .. Improper earthing of wire can pass a shock .. Should be kept in mind !

I hope this things helps !

Best of luck :)@9

Reaction score
plastics do insulates current....this will be true if the person touches the plastic but in this question the person touches the metal case which is a conductor

Reaction score
plastic support simply means that the metal case is placed on a plastic table or so

Reaction score
Thanks so much dude. But I still don't know why A is incorrect... I mean the current would have to pass through the metal case to electrocute anyone right?

Reaction score
look the for a current to pass through the circuit (i.e. the man) it needs to be closed.
so when someone touches the metal case the circuit is closed and the current is earthed through the mans body
but until it is touched (earthed) no current will pass
i hope u understand

Reaction score
You mean that without anyone touching it, it will be assumed that the metal case is an opened circuit?

Reaction score
yes with no current passing through it

Other useful cases:
there is an earth wire --> fuse in live wire will blow because a large current passes
no plastic support i.e. its in touch with ground --> fuse in live wire will blow