• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics paper 1 question

Reaction score
this is the correct answer in the mark scheme but i dont understand isnt pressure force / area and the area is smaller at Y?
also why not the force is equal?

never mind i get it know since the depth in the same in all the water so the force per unit area aka pressure is the same in all places

Reaction score
:sick: URGENT:eek:
can u help me with these doubts and explain them to me :)
.0625/M/J/05/ Q27
.0625/O/N/05/Q15 and Q31 AND Q39
.0625/M/J/07/Q20
.0625/O/N/07/Q16 and Q 17
.0625/M/J/08/Q10 and Q38
Thnx :D :)

Reaction score
:sick: URGENT:eek:
can u help me with these doubts and explain them to me :)
.0625/M/J/05/ Q27
.0625/O/N/05/Q15 and Q31 AND Q39
.0625/M/J/07/Q20
.0625/O/N/07/Q16 and Q 17
.0625/M/J/08/Q10 and Q38
Thnx :D :)

This is in order of questions:
  • 27) The answer is "A". This is because they already mentioned that the rod is east-west direction. This means that compasses will normally point to the North. Just imagine yourself standing east of a place and you have a compass, it will definitely point to the north.
  • 15) The answer is "B". The heating effect the spark has on the hand is extremely unnoticeable. This indicates that it has a low thermal capacity (does not hold a large amount of heat).
  • 31) The answer is "A". This is because the voltage throughout the circuit is constant (6V).
  • 39) The answer is "B". The Beta particle has a value of -1 neutron and 0 proton. This means that the product will be have a neutron number of one less than the reactant and the same proton number to obtain a stable equation.
  • 20) The answer is "C". As the wave moves into deeper water, the waves will bend AWAY from the normal.
  • 16) The answer is "B". The smallest block will heat up the fastest as it contains less mater than the other blocks. It's like when you cook a burger. The bigger it is, the longer it will take to be cooked.
  • 17) The answer is "B". When you heat the iron circle it will expand, which will make it bigger. Therefore, the wheel can be easily inserted.
  • 10) The answer is "D". The position 3 is where the stone just fell. As it JUST fell, it will have large amount of kinetic energy. It is on the floor, so nothing is pulling it up, therefore, the least amount of gravitational energy is there as it is already resting in the same place on the ground.
  • 38) The answer is "A". The Beta particle is known to be an electron and it is definitely emitted from a nucleus.
Hope I've helped!

Reaction score
this is the correct answer in the mark scheme but i dont understand isnt pressure force / area and the area is smaller at Y?
also why not the force is equal?

No well yes but for LIQUIDS it is Pressure=Height*Density*Gravitational force

Reaction score
Q5-I was also facing troubles in it :).But i know that the answer is A because the distance between the pivot and the baby in the basket is greater than the distance from pivot to weight W ,so this means that the weight of baby is less than W
Q12-The pressure depends on the depth and density of the liquid but not the shape of container,so the pressure X and Y is the same,which makes the answer D
Q16-In melting,the substance(ice)will gain energy,but the temperature will not change during melting.we all know that the melting point of ice is 0*C so still the temperature of remaining ice is zero
Q25-If we place magnet near a ferrous metal,both sides of the magnet will attract to the ferrous metal,and if one side of magnet is placed near a non ferrous metal,then there will be no effect,but with compass needle,one side of he compass needle will attract to the north pole and the other t the south pole
Hope I have helped :)
Dont hesitate to ask if u need more detailed explanation
Gd luck

Reaction score
Q5-I was also facing troubles in it :).But i know that the answer is A because the distance between the pivot and the baby in the basket is greater than the distance from pivot to weight W ,so this means that the weight of baby is less than W
Q12-The pressure depends on the depth and density of the liquid but not the shape of container,so the pressure X and Y is the same,which makes the answer D
Q16-In melting,the substance(ice)will gain energy,but the temperature will not change during melting.we all know that the melting point of ice is 0*C so still the temperature of remaining ice is zero
In Q12 I wanted to ask that why option B could not be the answer
Q25-If we place magnet near a ferrous metal,both sides of the magnet will attract to the ferrous metal,and if one side of magnet is placed near a non ferrous metal,then there will be no effect,but with compass needle,one side of he compass needle will attract to the north pole and the other t the south pole
Hope I have helped :)
Dont hesitate to ask if u need more detailed explanation
Gd luck
Thanks and yes in Q12 why can't option B be the answer

Reaction score

Q6-weight of 8 disks=3 N and the weight for 2 disks=1.2 N
weight of 6 disks removed=3-1.2=1.8N
so weight of one disk=1.8/6=0.3 N
Q9-length of un_extended spring=15 cm
length of spring with load=16.4 , so the extension is =16.4-15=1.4
from graph find he load which will be 3.5 N so the answer is C
Q22-ttis depend on mirror.write the word LEFT on paper and see the image on mirror.u will notice that the word will be laterally inverted(left to right),so the answer will be B
Q38-now the number 0f emsstion/second is N,and this radioactive element has a half life of 70 seconds(this means that every 70 seconds the activity of element drop by half),70 seconds earlier(before 70 seconds) the emission will be twice of that N so it will be 2N,so answer is D
Hope i have helped
DONT HESITATE TO ASK UR DOUBTS AND IF U NEED MORE DETAILED DOUBTS
Gd luck

Reaction score