• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics paper 1,2 ........can we discuus da papper nw?

Reaction score
moving to sec.B

Firstly i didn't attempt q.8 :p

so Q.9 ) a) show the current
b ) magnetic field lines showing it from N to S and circulating it round the iron core .
c) The voltmeter shows a deflection when switch is closed as the current sets up magnetic field between the two coils and there is a rate of change of magnetic flux that develops and hence induces emf showing deflection.

d) no current , no magnetic field set up , no rate of change of magnetic flux , no emf , pointer returns to its original position .

e )1) increase the amount of current
2 ) use a stronger soft iron core

f ) 384 W

g ) 12.8 W

q.10 )a) Alpha particles are positive helium 42 He ATOMS with strong ionising power
b) gamma rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum with strong penetrative power
c ) use tongs or tweezers handling radioactive substances
d) not much distance from the source and the detector so that the final result is not contaminated and the radiation does not decay in between.
e) longer half life in this experiment because the original count rate of the reading should not change due to its decaying which will lead to inaccurate final results.
f) i) Yes there are alpha particles as some of the radiation is absorbed by the thick card.
ii ) No beta particles as the count rate is unaffected by the aluminum , which usually absorbs beta particles
iii ) yes gamma rays are there because the count rate after passing the card and aluminium is still upto 850 counts / min
i forgot one part perhaps of 2 marks here :p
the last part radiation may enter the body and kill living cells / cause cancer / hair loss
the part u forgot was about the sources of background radiation
i wrote -cosmic rays and - nuclear blasts over the wworld

Reaction score
Even though I didn't attempt question 2 of section B, I went through the first line of the question and it said dc input to transformer, now doesn't a transformer only work on AC input ?

Reaction score
Theres a reason for it being downwards. That was a stationary point, and exactly after it the wave goes downward. Since each point of the wave is position of the particle, the arrow was to be down. Had it been upwards, the particle would've gone further up AFTER it.
at the stationary point, there is no movement of particle, you can see that from any marking scheme or book you want! and the direction of the movement of particle after the crest is upward and before the crest is downwards! i have checked it and confirmed it! therefore i think that CIE will grant marks to both upward or downward arrow marked!

Reactions: asd

asd

Reaction score
moving to sec.B

Firstly i didn't attempt q.8 :p

so Q.9 ) a) show the current
b ) magnetic field lines showing it from N to S and circulating it round the iron core .
c) The voltmeter shows a deflection when switch is closed as the current sets up magnetic field between the two coils and there is a rate of change of magnetic flux that develops and hence induces emf showing deflection.

d) no current , no magnetic field set up , no rate of change of magnetic flux , no emf , pointer returns to its original position .

e )1) increase the amount of current
2 ) use a stronger soft iron core

f ) 384 W

g ) 12.8 W

q.10 )a) Alpha particles are positive helium 42 He ATOMS with strong ionising power
b) gamma rays are part of the electromagnetic spectrum with strong penetrative power
c ) use tongs or tweezers handling radioactive substances
d) not much distance from the source and the detector so that the final result is not contaminated and the radiation does not decay in between.
e) longer half life in this experiment because the original count rate of the reading should not change due to its decaying which will lead to inaccurate final results.
f) i) Yes there are alpha particles as some of the radiation is absorbed by the thick card.
ii ) No beta particles as the count rate is unaffected by the aluminum , which usually absorbs beta particles
iii ) yes gamma rays are there because the count rate after passing the card and aluminium is still upto 850 counts / min
i forgot one part perhaps of 2 marks here :p
the last part radiation may enter the body and kill living cells / cause cancer / hair loss
Q 9 part d you did it wrong, when switch will be opened, the deflection would be on the left ! (momentarily)

Reaction score
It was important to write that rate of energy released and rate of energy utilized in bond forming were equal, so temp. remained constant.
it was a past paper question and i did not find such thing in it's mark scheme :)
so , its cool.

asd

Reaction score
at the stationary point, there is no movement of particle, you can see that from any marking scheme or book you want! and the direction of the movement of particle after the crest is upward and before the crest is downwards! i have checked it and confirmed it! therefore i think that CIE will grant marks to both upward or downward arrow marked!
That's what i was confused about in the paper, there's no net movement of particles on crests/troughs

Reaction score
Background radiation can also be from contamination of the rate meter right?