• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P5 uncertainty help

Reaction score
when you are done, pls teach me how to get the y intercept and why i cant just read it from the graph? thanks a lot! ur helping a lot :)
Y-intercept means where ur line cuts the y-axis when x = 0 if you don't start with a scale of 0 on x-axis, you can never find y0intercept without calculating. So how to you find the y-intercept?

Example:
You plotted your points and made ur line of best fit. Now you take any point on the line of best fit and u replace in the equation y=mx+c where m is the gradient you have calculated in previous part and c is the y-intercept. Now you need to know that you have gradient of best and worst and their difference in magnitude gives the error in gradient. Same thing applies for y-intercept whereby you replace Gbest and Gworst in y=mx+c to get the Ybest and Yworst and the difference in magnitude gives the error in Y-intercept ;)

Reaction score
Y-intercept means where ur line cuts the y-axis when x = 0 if you don't start with a scale of 0 on x-axis, you can never find y0intercept without calculating. So how to you find the y-intercept?

Example:
You plotted your points and made ur line of best fit. Now you take any point on the line of best fit and u replace in the equation y=mx+c where m is the gradient you have calculated in previous part and c is the y-intercept. Now you need to know that you have gradient of best and worst and their difference in magnitude gives the error in gradient. Same thing applies for y-intercept whereby you replace Gbest and Gworst in y=mx+c to get the Ybest and Yworst and the difference in magnitude gives the error in Y-intercept ;)

thanks! understood :D

Reaction score
Oh boy I don't understand how to find V :S I need to print it and focus I guess Brb laterz with a possible solution :p

did u see the question diagram? the length of the card is 0.200m, so we just have to use the length and since time is given, sub into formula (distance/time) to get the speed.
ex : (0.02/174*10-3) = 1.149..thats value of V. square it and u'l get 1.32 :)

Reaction score
did u see the question diagram? the length of the card is 0.200m, so we just have to use the length and since time is given, sub into formula (distance/time) to get the speed.
ex : (0.02/174*10-3) = 1.149..thats value of V. square it and u'l get 1.32 :)
Does not sound logical but it's the answer lol

Reaction score
really? sorry why its not logical eh? o_O cos the time given is the time interval right? so the only way to find the distance is to use 0.200m, no?

Reaction score
for June 2012 p52 Q2 d(ii) and e(ii) could u help me please?
I explained that a bit earlier I quote:
Okay I have checked the paper. Well here is the expln:

TO find b it's simple, you take 1 point on your Line of best fit(which you used to calculated gradient) and then you take g best and you replace in euqation to find t ;)

Now for the undertainty, use the equation in the Mark scheme.

When u see t^2 know that error in t = 2Δt/t
if % uncertainty in t the 2Δt/t x 100

E.g Find error in X^9

=> error in X^9 = 9ΔX/X
% error = 9ΔX/X x 100

That's 1 thing. Now in an equation:
b=m/(R^2), find %uncertainty in R

Given the following Data:
b = 3 +/- 1
m=5 +/- 2

Whether its multiplication of division, you ALWAYS add errors.

Let's solve it:

Δb/b x 100 = Δm/m x 100 + 2ΔR/R x 100

You always divide error by true value.

=> Δb/b x 100 = Δm/m x 100 + 2ΔR/R x 100
=> [(1/3) x100] =[(2/5) x 100] + [2(ΔR/R) x 100]

You need to know that % uncertainty in R = ΔR/R x 100 = Let's call it a

=> [(1/3) x100] =[(2/5) x 100] + 2a

Make a S.O.F you get the % uncertainty in R. Now apply this to your question and Voila

I hope it helps u :D Demain massacre huehuehue :p

Reaction score
hehehe..yeah sry...act m posting so many dbts in different threads dat i myself got confused :p
n yeah jarjar is correct...v is to be found lyk dat

hey have u figured out why its different sf for the bottom two rows??
anyonee???

Reaction score
I need to go and work it out I guess brb later :p
hey i got it! its simple actually! :)
see..m explaining everything wid respect to the first row!
v=0.2/(174*10^-3) = 1.149
now v need to find the uncertainty in v...
m puting $=delta..so pls undrstnd
$v/v=($d/d) + ($t/t) but ($d/d)=0
so $v=v$t/t = [1.149*(2*10^-3) ]/(174*10^-3) = 0.01
now for V^2 ...
$v^2=[(2)*($V)*(V^2)]/V and substituting values gives 0.03
hope dis helps...! :)

Reaction score
another doubt hehe. so if lets say i count my gradient and i get something like 123.87 wt uncertainty 5.28. but since uncertainty cn only be one SF, i make it 124 +/- 5. and then the are follow up questions where u have to find uncertainty in one of the unknown in equation, where gradient is involved..so i must use (5.28/123.87) or (5/124) in the calculation?