• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

physics p42 discussion

Reaction score
My paper was okay, some questions were very confusing though. Like that ideal gas one, I stared at it for a while before it clicked, and I'm STILL unsure!

Reaction score
The paper comparitively was very easy than the last few years. Everyone in my school more or less did great, so the threshold is going to rocketjump much higher I assume. Anyways, i remember a few of my answers..

The frequency modulating question, amplitude = 5.0V, max freq = 674, min freq = 626, time period - 1x10^-4
First question about rock returning to going out of moon's orbit = escape velocity was more than 2000ms^-1 shown, so it escapes to oblivion
Angular speed of oscillation for it's question was w=22rads^-1, and t=0.42s
About the photoelectric question, work function came out as 4.8 something. So photons emitted from one surface and not from the other (sodium and the other one, i forgot..)

I believe the others were just "show that" comparison answers which is pointless to discuss here, and also comprehensive questions. I hope I'm correct for the most part.

Cheers!

Reaction score
The paper comparitively was very easy than the last few years. Everyone in my school more or less did great, so the threshold is going to rocketjump much higher I assume. Anyways, i remember a few of my answers..

The frequency modulating question, amplitude = 5.0V, max freq = 674, min freq = 626, time period - 1x10^-4
First question about rock returning to going out of moon's orbit = escape velocity was more than 2000ms^-1 shown, so it escapes to oblivion
Angular speed of oscillation for it's question was w=22rads^-1, and t=0.42s
About the photoelectric question, work function came out as 4.8 something. So photons emitted from one surface and not from the other (sodium and the other one, i forgot..)

I believe the others were just "show that" comparison answers which is pointless to discuss here, and also comprehensive questions. I hope I'm correct for the most part.

Cheers!

Your answer to the time period is incorrect since it should be divided by two. Other than that it is fine. Bet that the grade thresholds would increase rapidly. However, many questions were CONFUSING for some students. Hence it might be average too.

Reaction score
Your answer to the time period is incorrect since it should be divided by two. Other than that it is fine. Bet that the grade thresholds would increase rapidly. However, many questions were CONFUSING for some students. Hence it might be average too.
Hey. Yeah I guess so, good thinking!
Do you remember anymore of the answers you could share?

Reaction score
guys i hate being paranoid but for 42, the graph for emf. It was a digital shaped graph with both in the same direction but the second voltage was greater right? because gradient was in same direction.

Reaction score
guys i hate being paranoid but for 42, the graph for emf. It was a digital shaped graph with both in the same direction but the second voltage was greater right? because gradient was in same direction.
yep same direction as gradient was in the same direction, and 2nd gradient was steeper and larger in size. However, the graph apparently had distinct values of e.m.f, which I didn't maintain.. I just roughly drew 2 steps