• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics P-22 GT.

Reaction score
Stress = Force/Area, right?
Force was the same for both but the areas were different.
For P the area was : 1/4(pie)(d^2)
For Q the area was : (pie)(d^2)
Apply the formula, with P ABOVE Q, i'm pretty sure you can do the math after that :p
The answer you'll get is P:Q = 4:1

I'm not quite sure about the second part but it was either 1:2 or 2:1. How?
Suppose the extension in P was e, so strain in P = e/original length
now here's the confusing part, i don't know what was the extension in Q it was either (1/2)e or 2e. Anybody here who can help me with this? :p
First i did it with (1/2)e i got the ratio 2:1 but for some reason i cancelled it and took 2e as the extension finally arriving at the ratio 1:2. There's no third answer to it i'm sure :D
surely the extension in Q is 1/2 e.since Q is bigger having much bigger cross section,Q will have less extension hence less strain so only 2:1 makes sense.

Reaction score
surely the extension in Q is 1/2 e.since Q is bigger having much bigger cross section,Q will have less extension hence less strain so only 2:1 makes sense.
Extension is proportional to the cross sectional area and not the diameter. So cross sectional areas were pi(d/2)^2 and pi d^2 or pi d^2/4 and pid2...hence the stress and strain were both the same ie 1 : 1/4

Reaction score
the angle that they make isnt related to them.check the ms the question came many times i never saw anything about the angle but i dont know im not an examiner myself :p
It means that they're farther away from the oth order of maximum...the questions were about the wavelengths of light? Cause I've seen questions about the changes in slit separation, width of slit, distance from screen but just once about the change in wavelength, and they mentioned the angle. Anyway I could be wrong. Lets all just pray that we all get a good grade :)

Reaction score
Stress = Force/Area, right?
I'm not quite sure about the second part but it was either 1:2 or 2:1. How?
Suppose the extension in P was e, so strain in P = e/original length
now here's the confusing part, i don't know what was the extension in Q it was either (1/2)e or 2e. Anybody here who can help me with this? :p
First i did it with (1/2)e i got the ratio 2:1 but for some reason i cancelled it and took 2e as the extension finally arriving at the ratio 1:2. There's no third answer to it i'm sure :D
Well.....infact there is.
Think logically. strain = stress/Young Modulus......right? The material was the same in both cases, which implies that Young Modulus is constant. Both wires also had the same original length. So if stress in P is 4 times the stress in Q, the strain in P is also 4 times the strain in Q. It's as simple as that. :)

Reaction score
It means that they're farther away from the oth order of maximum...the questions were about the wavelengths of light? Cause I've seen questions about the changes in slit separation, width of slit, distance from screen but just once about the change in wavelength, and they mentioned the angle. Anyway I could be wrong. Lets all just pray that we all get a good grade :)
it said that "a redlight is used instead,state the changes to the fringes"not the differences between the wavelengths

Reaction score
it said that "a redlight is used instead,state the changes to the fringes"not the differences between the wavelengths
Yup and I wrote that the angle at which the fur he's are formed will be greater. The angle has nothing to do with the wavelength, sintheta is just directly proportional to it. I dunno what you're saying btw

Reaction score
arguing here wont help anything just wait till the ms is out,and the wavelength was 450x10^-9 not 450x10^-7
Yeah that's what I meant but they were comparing the wavelengths not their laser-nature cause if didn't say anywhere that the red light wasnt to be a laser..okay let's stop and discuss possible mcq questions instead!

Reaction score
Well.....infact there is.
Think logically. strain = stress/Young Modulus......right? The material was the same in both cases, which implies that Young Modulus is constant. Both wires also had the same original length. So if stress in P is 4 times the stress in Q, the strain in P is also 4 times the strain in Q. It's as simple as that. :)
my answers :D
1)Am-1k-1
2)1.25*10^4 uncert 775 (6.2% of 1.25*10^4)
the acceleration was 2.6, 169N, 49N
3) 180, 22.9, 90, 90
4) 1:4 and 4:1
5) 24-(2.4*6) = 9.6 , 4ohms, 68.6 W
6) i dont remeber :D

Reaction score
my answers :D
1)Am-1k-1
2)1.25*10^4 uncert 775 (6.2% of 1.25*10^4)
the acceleration was 2.6, 169N, 49N
3) 180, 22.9, 90, 90
4) 1:4 and 4:1
5) 24-(2.4*6) = 9.6 , 4ohms, 68.6 W
6) i dont remeber :D
for area i used the formula pi*(d^2)/4 ._. thats how i got the answer
and my answers matrch urs to some extent :p