• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics MCQs thread.

Reaction score
xHazeMx said:
Hateexams93 said:
its A, small masses will obtain higher kinetic energies in order to make the total momentum equal to zero. m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

It can be solved using a very simple way. For elastic collisions, speed of approach = speed of separation

Speed of approach = u--u = 2u
Speed of separation must also be 2u which is A, (5u/3) - (u/3) = 2u

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
*THIS THREAD IS CHANGED TO 'STICKY' NOW*

Reaction score
Zishi said:
It can be solved using a very simple way. For elastic collisions, speed of approach = speed of separation

so u have to MINUS to find the speed of approach ?

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
Zishi said:

so u have to MINUS to find the speed of approach ?
yeah, because velocity is a vector and they are in opposite directions, so u will have to minus them

Reaction score
i know about their directions , i was asking about speed of approach, so the formula will be : speed of approach= U1 -U2 ??????

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
i know about their directions , i was asking about speed of approach, so the formula will be : speed of approach= U1 -U2 ??????
use the equation, m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2 , considering the directions and u will get the answer

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
:eek: can some1 show me the working please ?

The point(midpoint) at which the wheel Q is being rotated acts as the pivot. Moment = Force x perpendicular distance

Distance = radius =0.05m, you have the moment for it, you can easily calculate the force. The force will remain same for wheel P, so you can also calculate moment about P, using force acting on it and its radius.

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
oh, sorry i took the diameter instead of the radius :/. here are the calculations.
Tension x perpendicular distance (from the centre of the wheel) = Torque
T x 0.1/2 (radius) = 3
T = 3/ 0.05 = 60

same equation for P

tension x perpendicular distance = Torque
60 x 0.15/2 = Torque
Torque = 4.5

Reaction score
A projectile is launched at 45° to the horizontal with initial kinetic energy E.
Assuming air resistance to be negligible, what will be the kinetic energy of the projectile when it
reaches its highest point?
A 0.50 E B 0.71 E C 0.87 E D E

Reaction score
its A...SEE AT v initial is V...SO at highest point velcity will be V COS45...RI8...NW U LL UNDRSTND

Reaction score
Hateexams93 said:
hassam said:
its A...SEE AT v initial is V...SO at highest point velcity will be V COS45...RI8...NW U LL UNDRSTND
can u show the working ..i mean the drawing plz
vertical velocity= u cos 45
horizontal velocity = u sin 45
so, initial K.E. : the vertical and horizontal components of kinetic energy = 1/2 m ( u cos 45 ) + 1/2 m ( u sin 45 ) ......... ( 1/2 m v^2 formula )

so, sin 45 = 0.71
....cos 45 = 0.71 ( check them in the calculator )

so they will give the same kinetic energy for both velocities ( horizontally and vertically )

so at the highest point, (theta) = 90 ( for the vertical velocity ) , horizontal velocity doesn't change
so final kinetic energy = 1/2 m ( u cos 90 ) + 1/2 m ( u sin 45 )..................... ( horizontal velocity is constant ) ( cos 90 is 0 )
final kinetic energy = 1/2 m ( u sin 45 ) + 0 only which is half of the initial kinetic energy.