• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PHYSICS LDR

Reaction score
Hey everyone...
Guyz i am pretty confused about the way LDR works :S
Somewhere it says that due to high voltage the bulb is able to light up and somewhere they say since the resistor is low so more current passes thru it which lights up the bulb so how come the bulbs work at night widout any current as at night ldr has high resistance... :S :S :|
soooo confused plz sum1 give a detailed answer to this problem... :|

Reaction score
see ldrs are not common bulbs for home appliances .. ldrs are light detectors .... when the light falling on them is bright the electrons will flow and current passes this is high value current .. this is how the resistance will fall .. the increased current lights the lamp ..... going in details of semiconductors n lattices arent a part of our syllabus ... proceeding .. when its dark the value of current falls and resistance is high

Reaction score
@Captain Danger: Yeah but the bulbs that automatically come at night it is written in the book that they also use ldr... As the LDR has high resistance at night so there is high voltage across it and the base current will have sufficient voltage so it will light up the bulb... :| Sometimes current lights up the bulb other places voltage lights it up I am hell confused... :S
Okay i will give it a reading!!

Reaction score
these are light detectors and their resistance is inversly proportional to light
thats all u need to know at ur level

Reaction score
LDR is mainly used in the potential divider circuit... Where the OUT put voltage depends on the light intensity (due to resistance)... When the output voltage is well enough it will drive a current in the other part of the circuit which results in lightning of the bulb...