• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Help.. Again.

Reaction score
(e) discuss the role of the following components in the stated applications:
  1. radiowaves – radio and television communications,
  2. microwaves – satellite television and telephone,
  3. infra-red – household electrical appliances, television controllers and intruder alarms,
  4. light – optical fibres in medical uses and telephone,
  5. ultra-violet – sunbeds, fluorescent tubes and sterilisation,
  6. X-rays – hospital use in medical imaging and killing cancerous cells, and engineering applications such as detecting cracks in metal,
  7. gamma rays – medical treatment in killing cancerous cells, and engineering applications such as detecting cracks in metal.
So, do we just have to know the applications of each of the waves or do we have to describe how they are used and what properties enable them to be used in the stated application and to what extent are they used in daily lives?

Reaction score
Its not there in the syllabus but when I was solving the past papers, I came across a question which asked how to detect X-rays, so its better that you learn at least one method for each.

Reaction score
hmm its the same question cux of which i asked
btw i dunno any method to detect electomagnetic waves :0

Reaction score
They are easy.
Just remember:
Gamma rays - G-M tube.
X-Rays - Flourescent, Photographic Plates.
Ultra Violet - Photographic Film.
Light - Eye, Photographic Film.
Infra Red - Thermometers (Blackened) (They change reading quickly in presence of infra-red waves), Special Photographic Films.
Radio Waves - Radio Aerials.

Just remember Photographic Plates are used to detect most of them :D

Reaction score
DC motors use the phenomenon; Mechanical Energy = Magnetic Energy + Electrical Energy. It produces mechanical energy i.e. movement in form of rotation, it is used in many household appliances, for example, blender, toys (that move on motions), juicer, etc.
Its pretty much used in anything that produces motion in exchange for current (electrical energy).

Reaction score
DC motors use the phenomenon; Mechanical Energy = Magnetic Energy + Electrical Energy. It produces mechanical energy i.e. movement in form of rotation, it is used in many household appliances, for example, blender, toys (that move on motions), juicer, etc.
Its pretty much used in anything that produces motion in exchange for current (electrical energy).

if u read this statement after doing A levels u will laugh at ur innocence!

Reaction score
(e) discuss the role of the following components in the stated applications:
  1. radiowaves – radio and television communications,
  2. microwaves – satellite television and telephone,
  3. infra-red – household electrical appliances, television controllers and intruder alarms,
  4. light – optical fibres in medical uses and telephone,
  5. ultra-violet – sunbeds, fluorescent tubes and sterilisation,
  6. X-rays – hospital use in medical imaging and killing cancerous cells, and engineering applications such as detecting cracks in metal,
  7. gamma rays – medical treatment in killing cancerous cells, and engineering applications such as detecting cracks in metal.
So, do we just have to know the applications of each of the waves or do we have to describe how they are used and what properties enable them to be used in the stated application and to what extent are they used in daily lives?
u can not learn which properties enable them to work like this otherwise u will have to learn all quantum mechanics which is not in syllabus. u have to tell what role they play in each application.
for example: antennas send microwaves encoded with information to satellites in space. as light can travel through vacuum they reach satellites and then they are sent to houses where the dish receives the microwaves and decode their information.
infra-red light is emited from one side of door and is recieved by sensor on other side of door. whever some one enters the door he temporarily decrease count rate of infra-read and sensor sends signal to alarm to ring.
u hope u get it.

Reaction score
u can not learn which properties enable them to work like this otherwise u will have to learn all quantum mechanics which is not in syllabus. u have to tell what role they play in each application.
for example: antennas send microwaves encoded with information to satellites in space. as light can travel through vacuum they reach satellites and then they are sent to houses where the dish receives the microwaves and decode their information.
infra-red light is emited from one side of door and is recieved by sensor on other side of door. whever some one enters the door he temporarily decrease count rate of infra-read and sensor sends signal to alarm to ring.
u hope u get it.
That's the problem. I read about their properties somewhere and so was confused.
Yeah I get it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Can anyone upload a pictures of block diabrams of:
1) Electricity generation from coal/oil/gas.
2)Electricity generation from nuclear power
3) Electricity generation from hydroelectric power!
Please help!