• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics - Doubts in the syllabus

Reaction score
burndtjamb said:
lavanyamane said:
Thank you very much, unplugged. That was helpful :)
Are you sure that positive charges are attracted to the south pole and negative ones to the north pole?

The information he gave you concerning that point is wrong, north and south poles are not the same as positive and negative charges.

To determine where radiation is deflected in a magnetic field, Fleming's left hand rule is used. It's explained here: http://www.furryelephant.com/content/ra ... lpha-beta/

Hmm, well i did see it on a few forums. But i suppose it does seem kinda of wrong.

Some helpful thing i saw on wiki about the magnetic field created by current:
Manoderecha.svg

Reaction score
lavanyamane said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0625%20-%20Physics/0625_s10_qp_32.pdf
Q.8 (c)(iii)
Why do charges move up to the ball?

You can imagine the ball having two sections when the Positively charged rod is brought near it , a section on the side of the rod in which electrons gather up and a side where there are no electrons or AKA positively charged side. When you connect the line from the earth , the earth is a neutral object so electrons in the earth being attracted to the positive charge in MOST of the ball move up from the earth to the ball till they fill the empty spaces (holes). And as a result the ball has extra electrons and therefore negatively charged.

Reaction score
unplugged said:
lavanyamane said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0625%20-%20Physics/0625_s10_qp_32.pdf
Q.8 (c)(iii)
Why do charges move up to the ball?

You can imagine the ball having two sections when the Positively charged rod is brought near it , a section on the side of the rod in which electrons gather up and a side where there are no electrons or AKA positively charged side. When you connect the line from the earth , the earth is a neutral object so electrons in the earth being attracted to the positive charge in MOST of the ball move up from the earth to the ball till they fill the empty spaces (holes). And as a result the ball has extra electrons and therefore negatively charged.

Thank you! And what about Q. 9(b)(i) in the same paper? Could you help me with that?

Reaction score
lavanyamane said:
Thank you! And what about Q. 9(b)(i) in the same paper? Could you help me with that?

I'm not totally sure about this but , i think when there are two routes between the terminals. One which has a lot less resistance than the other , the circuit is shortened and the current only flows through the path of least resistance. Try to confirm this with someone that has more experience but i think it's about right.