• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hey can u explain me what is cathodic protectiom
it's like when you set up an electrolysis cell with iron and another metal (e.g titanium) as electrodes.
In this way, when iron is the cathode, it gains electrons hence agents of corrosion can't affect it

Reaction score
Is my structure correct?
Your CH3 are correct. However, the way you joined them to sulfur is wrong.
Whenever there is a covalent bond between two atoms, electrons are shared. Therefore a bond consists of two electrons. Double bonds will consist of 4 bonds, etc. You CANNOT have the C bonding to S with just one electron.
Also remember that Hydrogen has only one electron. Your diagram agrees with this which is good.
Carbon has 4 electrons... But in your diagram each of them has only three!!
Sulphur has six... But yours has eight!
I have drawn the correct diagram without the circles:
QuickMemo+_2015-05-16-00-29-00~2.jpg

Reaction score
Your CH3 are correct. However, the way you joined them to sulfur is wrong.
Whenever there is a covalent bond between two atoms, electrons are shared. Therefore a bond consists of two electrons. Double bonds will consist of 4 bonds, etc. You CANNOT have the C bonding to S with just one electron.
Also remember that Hydrogen has only one electron. Your diagram agrees with this which is good.
Carbon has 4 electrons... But in your diagram each of them has only three!!
Sulphur has six... But yours has eight!
I have drawn the correct diagram without the circles:
View attachment 53724
thanks very mch for detailed reply(y)
in hurry i put dots b/w carbon and sulphur instead of cross that's y

Reaction score
Ju

Just wanted to add a bit more information as ur answer was vague while referring to this.
The ions that are close to the electrodes will ONLY be attracted/repelled to the electrodes. The general flow of ions from cathode to anode is because of diffusion. This happens because of initiall repulsion and attraction causing the ions to have a lower and higher concentration region.
rexplain what u have just said

Reaction score
A student sets up the apparatus shown. The bulb does not light.
After the student adds substance X to the water, the bulb lights.
What could X be?
A barium sulphate
B carbon (or diamond)
C copper (or graphite)
D potassium sulphate
Q9 2007 oct/nov p1
anyone can explain this please ?

Reaction score
A student sets up the apparatus shown. The bulb does not light.
After the student adds substance X to the water, the bulb lights.
What could X be?
A barium sulphate
B carbon (or diamond)
C copper (or graphite)
D potassium sulphate
Q9 2007 oct/nov p1
anyone can explain this please ?
should be D.
Potassium sulphate is an ionic compound. We know that ionic compounds conduct electricity in molten or aqueous state. when in water, it's in aqueous state and due to the movement of ions it will conduct electricity hence bulb lights.

Reaction score
should be D.
Potassium sulphate is an ionic compound. We know that ionic compounds conduct electricity in molten or aqueous state. when in water, it's in aqueous state and due to the movement of ions it will conduct electricity hence bulb lights.
what about barium sulphate ?

Reaction score
And what did you write for how the fertility drugs make women fertile and their social implications ?? i wrote they increase the production of FSH and oestrogen so ovulation occurs and fertilisation may occur ! And for social implications i wrote that women can get cancer if regularly used and they are expensive to buy
getting cancer is not a social implication