• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can u please tell me what topics from physics come in the ATP paper? (O-level) like in chemistry its mainly just Acids, Bases n Salts , Rate of reaction and Moles..
PLEASE HELP!

Reaction score
they absorb more heat energy from the hot water
hey i have a question in chemistry.. do u know y copper cannot react with a dilute acid to form a salt?? i mean y do we have to change it to copperoxide or copperchloride?? plz reply ASAP

Reaction score
hey i have a question in chemistry.. do u know y copper cannot react with a dilute acid to form a salt?? i mean y do we have to change it to copperoxide or copperchloride?? plz reply ASAP
Copper is quite low in the reactivity series
It's oxide or chloride is perhaps more reactive!

Reaction score
So its not just gonna be copper then right... i mean if they say silver or platnium the same rule applies?? and what if they are really high in the reactivity series? would we be able to make a salt?
yes, includes all non reactive metals.
n u will gt a salt ----> metal + acid = salt + hydrogen.

Reaction score
I facing a serious problem with paper 1 chemistry for some reason , any advice / tips/or anything to help me improve?

Reaction score
Hey..ud any1 me in PHY PA.PA ............. Q11b in mj - p31 -2010 ...plz.plz1 !! any 1 ..i realy cnt understand it!!
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Physics (0625)/0625_s10_qp_31.pdf
We know that R = ρL/A
Since the diameter of the second wire(d2) is half the diameter of the first wire (d1), the area of the second wire(A2) is one fourth the area of the first wire(A1)
[as area = pi * (d/2)^2 ie pi *r^2]
So, R2 = (0.45/0.3) * R1
ρL2/(A1/4) = (0.45/0.3) * (ρL1/A1)
on solving, the two ρ n the A1 cancel each other out.
We get, 4L2 = 1.5 * L1
L2 = (1.5/4) * L1
L2 = 0.375 * L1
L2 = 37.5 % of L1
Hope u gt it!!
:p

Reaction score
So its not just gonna be copper then right... i mean if they say silver or platnium the same rule applies?? and what if they are really high in the reactivity series? would we be able to make a salt?
Yes, the same rule applies with noble metals such as Platinum,Silver,Gold or those quite low in the reactivity series!
If they are high in the series, yes u can definitely prepare a salt, However metals such as Sodium and Potassium will result in a Very Dangerous Reaction!
Only M.A.Z.I.T metals (Magnesium, Aluminum, Zinc, Iron, Tin) are most suitable! (y)

Reaction score
Could anybody explain to me why when we use step up transformer the current is reduced so we use thinner and lighter cable ? i can't get what the relation between the current and the cables.

Reaction score
Could anybody explain to me why when we use step up transformer the current is reduced so we use thinner and lighter cable ? i can't get what the relation between the current and the cables.

the larger the current, the larger the heat losses.
since the current is reduced, thinner wires can be used, as the heat produced will be much less... so thin wires will not be melted.