• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Actually in crystallization we cool the solution to get the crystals but in evaporation, we heat it to separate the liquid. Like an example: in making of silicon chips we use crystallization method cuz if we would use evaporation it would damage it!!1
Just to be on the right page, crystallization occurs when mixing two insoluble salts to make a soluble one, right?

Reaction score
could you please give me an exact information considering kinetic theroy plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Assalam-o-Alaikum.
Post your Physics, Chemistry and Biology doubts in here and members, along with me will try there best to help you out. :)

Reaction score
Biology Essay or Structured questions :
When ask to do comparison of either similiarity or difference, can we make a table to group the answers according to same category???
Basically, can we draw a line in between the answer space ??

Reaction score
Please help me. Chemistry qp 32 winter 2011. I don't understand what exactly question 6(c) is asking. Please help me, I've got an exam tomorrow and I don't understand it at all!!

Reaction score
please someone help me out at electrolysis i dont get any of it i mean how to form ionic equations and all i just dont get it explain me wht it is and if u can give me a site where i can get notes on it please its urgent thank u
and please explain the question 6 c1 cii and ciii in detail if u can please of http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_s06_qp_3.pdf
Sorry I can't remember all about electrolysis :) (I finished in JUNE) (u can ask specific questions if u want bec. it is a bit lengthy topic :D) but i think i can help u out in those Qs..
6 c i --> A reductant ( or reducing agent ) is the substance that is oxidised, Oxidation is the loss of electrons .. in a simple cell, electrons move from the more to the less reactive metal, so here from Zn to Fe, which means Zn loses electrons, is oxidised and hence is the reductant (here you have to mention "Zinc atoms" or Zn electrode , and they mention "bubbles of hydrogen atoms" at the iron electrode, which means that hydrogen ions from the electrlyte (H2SO4) gains the electrons that zinc loses so the oxidant is "Hydrogen ions".
ii) Here you should use two metals that further away from each other in the rectivity series than iron is with Zinc, but you can't mention that only, u must say the names of the metals for example u can say, " Use Aluminium instead of zinc as the electrode" or "use lead instead of iron" i e u should choose a metal less reactive than iron or a metal that is more reactive than Zinc or both.. but mentioning the metals' names is essential.
iii) answer is sacrificial protection or stop iron/steel rusting or galvanisation: I think this depends on ur memorisation .. but u say galvanisation only bec. there is a zinc electrode..
Any more doubts? :)

Reaction score
Sorry I can't remember all about electrolysis :) (I finished in JUNE) (u can ask specific questions if u want bec. it is a bit lengthy topic :D) but i think i can help u out in those Qs..
6 c i --> A reductant ( or reducing agent ) is the substance that is oxidised, Oxidation is the loss of electrons .. in a simple cell, electrons move from the more to the less reactive metal, so here from Zn to Fe, which means Zn loses electrons, is oxidised and hence is the reductant (here you have to mention "Zinc atoms" or Zn electrode , and they mention "bubbles of hydrogen atoms" at the iron electrode, which means that hydrogen ions from the electrlyte (H2SO4) gains the electrons that zinc loses so the oxidant is "Hydrogen ions".
ii) Here you should use two metals that further away from each other in the rectivity series than iron is with Zinc, but you can't mention that only, u must say the names of the metals for example u can say, " Use Aluminium instead of zinc as the electrode" or "use lead instead of iron" i e u should choose a metal less reactive than iron or a metal that is more reactive than Zinc or both.. but mentioning the metals' names is essential.
iii) answer is sacrificial protection or stop iron/steel rusting or galvanisation: I think this depends on ur memorisation .. but u say galvanisation only bec. there is a zinc electrode..
Any more doubts? :)
thanks so much so much for help

Reaction score
please someone help me out in http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Biology (0610)/0610_s07_qp_2.pdf question 4 a iv) please explain i think answer is F but the correct answer is D please explain
Yeah.. D
if u compare the "area destroyed each year 1990 – 2000 " with the "area of forest in 2000" u will find that for D, 2000 approx. 1.7% of the 117000 while 84000 is approx. 1% of the 8399000, meaning that D decreases at a faster rate ,in addition to the original no. being much less in D

Reaction score
u are
Yeah.. D
if u compare the "area destroyed each year 1990 – 2000 " with the "area of forest in 2000" u will find that for D, 2000 approx. 1.7% of the 117000 while 84000 is approx. 1% of the 8399000, meaning that D decreases at a faster rate ,in addition to the original no. being much less in D
brilliant thanks a lot