• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Guys got a slight question here. Should our answers for long and structured questions include all the points from the mark scheme?
if they r giving a mark for every point then ur answer should include these point
if they gave a group of points for example 5 and said ( max. 3 ) three of them should be included

Reaction score
For example in question 4 in ON11 about the Ferment. For the water jacket 8 points were stated, and the mark was 4. I wrote 5 points. Is that okay?

Reaction score
guyssssss plzzzzz i need HELP:cry:

i need to know every single detail about the nitrogen cycle
plzzz i know its long but plzzz help me igs is 2omorrow:(

Reaction score

Nitrogen fixation happens in three ways:
  • The energy in lightning splits nitrogen molecules into individual nitrogen atoms. These react with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides are washed to the ground by rain, where they form nitrates in the soil.
  • Nitrogen-fixing bacteria found in the soil and in the root nodules of leguminous plants, such as peas, beans and clover, fix nitrogen gas into nitrogen compounds.
Nitrogen compounds in living things are returned to the soil through:
  • excretion and egestion by animals
  • the decay of dead plants and animals
The Nitrogen Cycle

As a result of these processes, nitrogen is cycled continually through the air, soil and living things. This is called ‘The Nitrogen Cycle’.

Reaction score

when a plant or animal dies its tissues decompose partly as a result of the action of saprotrophic bacteria. One if the important products of this decay is ammonia.
Nitifying bacteria:
these are bacteria living in the soil which use the ammonia from excretory products and decaying organisms as a sourcce of energy. In this process of getting energy from ammonia, the bacteria produce nitrates.
the nitrite bacteria oxidize ammonia compounds to nitrites (( NH4- ----> NO2- ))
the nitrate bacteria oxidize nitrites to nitrates (( NO2- ---> NO3- )))
nitrogen fixing bacteria:
special group of nitrifying bacteria which absorb nitrogen from the air and build it into compounds of ammonia
This process is called nitrogen fixation bacteria live freely in the soil. Others live in the root of Leguminous plant (( root nodules ))
Lightning:
the high temp of lightning discharge causes some of the oxygen and nitrogen in the air to form oxides of nitrogen. These dissolve in the rain and are washed into the soil as weak acids where they form nitrates

Removing nitrates from the soil by ----> uptake by plants - leaching by rain water or by denitrifying bacteria which obtain their energy from cracking nitrates to nitrogen gas
this is the simplest form :)
hope i helped :)

Reaction score
Nitrogen fixation happens in three ways:
  • The energy in lightning splits nitrogen molecules into individual nitrogen atoms. These react with oxygen to form nitrogen oxides. Nitrogen oxides are washed to the ground by rain, where they form nitrates in the soil.
  • Nitrogen-fixing bacteria found in the soil and in the root nodules of leguminous plants, such as peas, beans and clover, fix nitrogen gas into nitrogen compounds.
Nitrogen compounds in living things are returned to the soil through:
  • excretion and egestion by animals
  • the decay of dead plants and animals
The Nitrogen Cycle

As a result of these processes, nitrogen is cycled continually through the air, soil and living things. This is called ‘The Nitrogen Cycle’.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL GIVIN BIOLOGY TOMORROW...!!!
:)
when a plant or animal dies its tissues decompose partly as a result of the action of saprotrophic bacteria. One if the important products of this decay is ammonia.
Nitifying bacteria:
these are bacteria living in the soil which use the ammonia from excretory products and decaying organisms as a sourcce of energy. In this process of getting energy from ammonia, the bacteria produce nitrates.
the nitrite bacteria oxidize ammonia compounds to nitrites (( NH4- ----> NO2- ))
the nitrate bacteria oxidize nitrites to nitrates (( NO2- ---> NO3- )))
nitrogen fixing bacteria:
special group of nitrifying bacteria which absorb nitrogen from the air and build it into compounds of ammonia
This process is called nitrogen fixation bacteria live freely in the soil. Others live in the root of Leguminous plant (( root nodules ))
Lightning:
the high temp of lightning discharge causes some of the oxygen and nitrogen in the air to form oxides of nitrogen. These dissolve in the rain and are washed into the soil as weak acids where they form nitrates

Removing nitrates from the soil by ----> uptake by plants - leaching by rain water or by denitrifying bacteria which obtain their energy from cracking nitrates to nitrogen gas
this is the simplest form :)
hope i helped :)

thanks....u sure did(y)

aaammmm what is ammoniafication