• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Maz

Reaction score
Please help me with these questions.. In an easy way

1. Describe bond breaking as endothermic and bond making as exothermic.
2.describe the production of heat energy by burning fuels
3.describe production of electrical energy from simple cells.
1. Endothermic reactions involve breaking of bonds eg.melting of ice.Exothermic reactions involve bonding eg.freezing of water to ice.
2.Heat energy is produced by burning fuels.eg burning methane.
3.A simple cell consists of 2 different metals in a solution of an electrloyte. The more reactive metal(anode) goes into the solution as ions and electrons flow through the wire to the positive electrode.

Reaction score
on the same paper could u help me with 7)a and b plz? I sort of understand but Im still confused....
sure!
U knw abt the reactivity series right? K,Na,Ca,Mg,Al,Zn..... here we are dealing with Mg , Al & Zn
so 7a: metal a will be magnesium as its the fastest reaction and its the most reactive one
b: metal b will be aluminium as the graph is slow at first and thn goes fast because aluminium forms an oxide layer so the reaction goes fast after it's removed
c: is abviously Zinc least reactive among them n the only left :p n it reacts slowly
7b: here we'll write the equations
Zinc :2Hcl+ Zn -->2Zncl2 + H2 ( notice the ratio of hydrogen in each of these)
Magnesium: 2Hcl +Mg --> Mgcl2 +H2
Aluminim : 6HcL +Al --> Alcl3 +3H2
Now, for zinc n magnesium the ratio of H2 in the eqn is 1 where as for aluminium its 3H2
the reason is that zinc n magnesium have the same valency 2 but aluminium has a diff 3

Reaction score
Guys when we add potassium manganate (vii) to a solution, they sometimes ask what is observed?
Can we just say the color changes from purple to colorless?

Maz

Reaction score
Guys when we add potassium manganate (vii) to a solution, they sometimes ask what is observed?
Can we just say the color changes from purple to colorless?
Depends on the marks, i suppose.
I don't know any other observation.

Reaction score
Here i drew this up for u .
Notice that Chlorine still has its 7 electrons, oxygen has its 6 electrons, carbon still has its 4 electrons. that you must show.
Also that each Atoms has a total of 8 electrons (stable) = as some of its own + the ones shared.
Double bond : Pair of electrons shared (oxygen shares 2 electrons with carbon, carbon shares 2 electrons with oxygen.)
:)
great diagram, thanks :)