• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Brain and spinal cord are the CNS so relay neurone are found in both.
Well it would also be appreciated if someone could explain me what this grey matter is now?(Some background details would be appreciated)
And one more question what is neurone transmitter in detail? `~~~~~~~~~~

The grey matter consists of the cell bodies, dendrites, axon terminals (their cell bodies) of neurons.So it is where there are synapses also. The grey matter is in brain and spinal chord.

When a nerve impulse travels along an axon, when it reaches the end of of the fibre it triggers the nerve ending to release a substance called neurotransmitter.
The neurotransmitter are chemicals. These chemicals diffuse through the synapse. As synapse are not a complete connection between 2 nerves they have a gap in between them, so these chemicals (neurotransmitter) diffuse through/across the gap (the synapse) and bind with second nerve. SO these chemicals stimulate the second neuron to transmit the impulse. This is kind of like a chain, so whenever there is a synapse this process is repeated.

Reaction score
Brain and spinal cord are the CNS so relay neurone are found in both.
Well it would also be appreciated if someone could explain me what this grey matter is now?(Some background details would be appreciated)
And one more question what is neurone transmitter in detail? `~~~~~~~~~~
I think neurone transmitters are chemicals that help 'diffuse' the electrical impulses across synapses (the junctions/space where neurones meet). Something along those lines. Check bbc bitesize, has some good info (i believe it has a video too!)

Reaction score
Hi guys, any tips for Biology paper 32 tomorrow? Like what topics are most likely to come out, and which topics are usually the big points? What do you have to know to ace tomorrow's test? Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what is the most difficult biology paper 5090/12 and 5090/22 (Mcq and theory) yet??

Reaction score
(Structured answer paper: You will get graph questions here, and possibly a drawing
exercise. You must be able to compare 2 diagrams and spot and then explain
differences/similarities.)
Do they also come in paper 3?:unsure:

Reaction score
Can someone help me with this question in 0610O/N/2013
q2 PART B (i) and (ii)..?

It got me confused :confused:

Reaction score
Hi guys! Are epithelial cells and goblet cells the same? If not, can u help define each of them? Because my book says the villus is covered w goblet cells but the mark scheme to qp32 M/j 2014 BIOLOGY says they are epithelial cells (it is in question 5b).

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Hi guys! Are epithelial cells and goblet cells the same? If not, can u help define each of them? Because my book says the villus is covered w goblet cells but the mark scheme to qp32 M/j 2014 BIOLOGY says they are epithelial cells (it is in question 5b).

Many thanks!
Goblet cells are those cells that produce mucus .
Epithelial cells are those which form an epithelium (outer layer)