• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
This is from the examiner's report. "Only the most able candidates scored well on this question. Nitrate ions were sometimes
successfully identified but the identity of solution K as a transition metal compound was rare. The
presence of ammonium ions and copper was often given even though the solution was pink to start
with."
The pink solution suggests that copper is NOT present, Copper salt solutions are BLUE.
Hope I'm right. Anyone one is free to correct any errors :)
lol everyone knows transitions metals are colored but i doubted if i needed to write cobalt or only transition metal

Reaction score
Chemistry paper 62 m/j 2014 q3 part c
In the mark scheme it says aluminium oxide gives a larger surface area... but can someone explain please?

Reaction score
is my diagram correct? If not please tell me how to draw
(And ignore my drawing i knw it's really bad)

Attachments

• 20150511_195322.jpg
    20150511_195322.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20150511_195329.jpg
    20150511_195329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Reaction score
I have chemistry paper 6 tomorw and i need urgent help they r asking me to draw two intersecting straight lines in the graph? How to do tht? I can only see all the points fitting into a single line. how to do the 2 intersecting lines?

Reaction score
There are two scenarios for this:-

1) Check this paper first(MJ2011 QP61 Q4 e(iii)):- https://drive.google.com/folderview...sp=drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230ajBJb1BVUl8xODg

So in this case the student is pouring solution(for which concentration is being checked) of potassium manganate(VII) from the beaker. Thus, the lesser the volume required for the colour to change, the more concentrated it is.

2)https://drive.google.com/folderview...drive_web&tid=0BzumkDfi9230ajBJb1BVUl8xODg(MJ 2008 QP6 Q4 e(iii))

So in this case the solution for which concentration is being checked is not poured, the known volume is already in the flask. Thus, whatever is being poured, in this case potassium manganate(VII), has to be in larger volume.

So basically you just have to look if the solution checked for concentration(i.e. A and B) has a known volume or not. If it does not, then the one with the smaller difference is more concentrated. If it does have a known volume, then one with larger difference is more concentrated.

Good luck for your exams
THANKU!!!!!!!
Seriously I was cracking my head open as I have my exam tomorrow but u just solved my problem!!!
Best of luck to u too!!!!!!!
:) :) :) :)