• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge IGCSE/Chemistry (0620)/0620_s04_qp_1.pdf
Q32
how is it A , aluminium forms an oxide layer , how cn it be corroded heavily?

Since aluminum is more reactive than steel, it will be corroded in preference to it. So aluminum loose electrons in preference to the iron to prevent the iron from forming Iron Oxide.
This is used to prevent corrosion in ships. By using a block of zinc attached to the ship's iron surface.. Zinc corrodes in preference to iron..

Reaction score
Since aluminum is more reactive than steel, it will be corroded in preference to it. So aluminum loose electrons in preference to the iron to prevent the iron from forming Iron Oxide.
This is used to prevent corrosion in ships. By using a block of zinc attached to the ship's iron surface.. Zinc corrodes in preference to iron..
Basically sacrificial protection right?

Reaction score
k.e. = g.p.e.
so 1/2mv^2 = hmg right?
so if mass increases by same amount on both sides, with v constant, height stays the same.
Flawed, twisted logic perhaps, but that was my answer.

And force is inversely proportional to distance only when work/energy is constant. But since g.p.e. is increasing too, I don't think this holds.
I don't care now :( I'm dumb at Phy.