• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Aswk. Can anyone explain why and what color change comes about when:

a) KMnO4 reacts with Fe(II)Cl, i.e, Iron(II) Chloride
b) KMnO4 reacts with SO2
c) KI reacts with H2O2, i.e Hydrogen Peroxide

I guess these are redox reactions, can you also show, even by completing the reaction?
Much appreciated! Urgent, plz

Reaction score
Do lead, iron and hydrogen react with dil. acids?
Lead and iron do

Aswk. Can anyone explain why and what color change comes about when:

a) KMnO4 reacts with Fe(II)Cl, i.e, Iron(II) Chloride
b) KMnO4 reacts with SO2
c) KI reacts with H2O2, i.e Hydrogen Peroxide

I guess these are redox reactions, can you also show, even by completing the reaction?
Much appreciated! Urgent, plz
Look at these animations
http://learnthings.co.za/content/se...e10/chemicalr/redoxreac/colourcha/default.htm

Reaction score
Do birds have waterproof feathers or oil glands which prevents their feathers from absorbing the water

Sis, the oil glands are to lubricate the feathers. The uropygial gland secretes the oils. This gland is found near the base of the tail and produces an oily substance that contains diester waxes that help waterproof feathers and keep them flexible. Birds will spread this oil to each feather.

Actually, it's like most people believe that birds waterproof their feathers by the oil located on their backs but that is not how they waterproof it. The interlocking hooks and barbules on feathers is what makes a bird waterproof and not all bird are waterproof.

Another theory says that bird feathers aren’t naturally waterproof. But birds can make them water resistant by applying waxes from their preen glands.

You may have watched a pet parrot grooming its own feathers – the bird will alternately rub its head against the base of its tail, and against its other feathers. It is depositing waxy, water-resistant oils found in the preen gland (at the tail base) onto the other feathers.Birds also have a dusty powder in their feathers. This powder comes from special feathers called “powderdowns”, which are constantly disintegrating into waterproof powder. This powder adds to the water-resistant quality of feathers.

It is essential for birds like ducks to constantly preen their feathers to keep them in good shape, and to keep distributing these waterproof oils and powders.Seabirds that dive underwater have particularly dense feathers, which also helps water from penetrating through the feathers to the bird’s body.

Hope that helps ;)