• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics, Chemistry and Biology: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
chlorine goes out as it is concentrated leaving OH ions behind and H ions go away leaving the Na and the NaOH is there at the cathode which goes blue/purple as it is basic.....
y is oh at anode? cl went ryt?

Reaction score
chlorine goes out as it is concentrated leaving OH ions behind and H ions go away leaving the Na and the NaOH is there at the cathode which goes blue/purple as it is basic.....
but wont that form like somewhere in the middle? why does the cathode change into purple/blue.. it only contains Na+ ions which while the anode has OH- ions.. :S

Reaction score
y is oh at anode? cl went ryt?

yea CL went and its NaOH at cathode as the Na is at cathode and the OH moves towards the cathode to form NaOH which is basic.....my teacher just said metals are like nasty things who do not like to move and the OH ions float around towards these nasty things and form NaOH

Reaction score
yea CL went and its NaOH at cathode as the Na is at cathode and the OH moves towards the cathode to form NaOH which is basic.....my teacher just said metals are like nasty things who do not like to move and the OH ions float around towards these nasty things and form NaOH
nyc way 2 xplain:)

Reaction score
c, they just want 2 c dat u notice solution, so solution will only b d case where d dissolved solute(s) is/r soluble. here comes d soluble/insoluble stuff. i hp u noe what salts r soluble n the rest which arent, if u dont tell:)
nah, i know, but now im confused, see there was this question mj 07 , number 22
Aqueous lead(II)nitrate is added to a solution containing iodide ions.Lead(II) iodide is formed.
which type of reaction takes place?
A.Neutralisation
B.oxidation
C.percepitation
D.reduction
so is it C?? :(

Reaction score
sry I was wrong

Look there is loads of hydrogen produced and since H2SO4 releases the most Hydrogen when electrolysed that is the answer

Cu SO4
H OH
There is only 1 H compared to S or O

Na Cl
H OH
There is only 1 H compared to the other which is either O or CL

H SO4
H OH
Notice there are 2 H's compared to the other gas which is 1 S
and we can see that the cathode has twice the more gas than the anode :)

I hope this helps and I hope I am not making a really stupid mistake :D

Reaction score
nah, i know, but now im confused, see there was this question mj 07 , number 22
Aqueous lead(II)nitrate is added to a solution containing iodide ions.Lead(II) iodide is formed.
which type of reaction takes place?
A.Neutralisation
B.oxidation
C.percepitation
D.reduction
so is it C?? :(
yeah, ms says C:)