• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

>>Physics ATP Questions Help!!

Reaction score
i have a few questions about the physics atp we just gave
first of all was the graph a straight line? or did it start from the origin?
Q1:why did the ammeters gave slight different reading?[2]
my answer:"they may be having slight zero errors i.e needles pointed a little ahead or behind zero leading to a different final reading" is this correct or wrong?
Q2:why is it difficult to measure "l"?[1]
my answer:"the walls of the container rise above the water level making it difficult to place rule close to the rod so more chances of error while reading"
Q3:how to measure "l" accurately?[2]
my answer:"place a rule vertically beside the container,view from bottom of the meniscus to top of the rod,keep line of sight perpendicular to the scale to avoid parallax error and keep eye as close as possible to rule"
lastly, was the refractive index to be written in ratio form (36:23) or decimals (1.5 something)?
any help will be highly appreciated.... thanx!!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)

Reaction score
my answer:"they may be having slight zero errors i.e needles pointed a little ahead or behind zero leading to a different final reading" is this correct or wrong?
my answer:"the walls of the container rise above the water level making it difficult to place rule close to the rod so more chances of error while reading"
my answer:"place a rule vertically beside the container,view from bottom of the meniscus to top of the rod,keep line of sight perpendicular to the scale to avoid parallax error and keep eye as close as possible to rule"
lastly, was the refractive index to be written in ratio form (36:23) or decimals (1.5 something)?
You want me to start? lol

Reaction score
"Start your graph from the origin"?

Same question in past paper
MS Says "best fit straight line NOT through (0,0)"

Last edited:
Reaction score
For your questions 2 and 3:

For question 2, "why is it difficult to measure 'l'?"

My answer:

It is difficult to take an accurate reading of "l" without disturbing the apparatus and as a direct result, altering the accuracy of "l."

For question 3, "how to measure "l" accurately?"

My answer:

Waiting for the apparatus to stabilize (i.e everything from the rod and water is still) and then dropping a few droplets of ink into the water. After waiting several seconds to have the ink diffuse entirely in the beaker, remove the rod carefully. Since the rod is wooden, the new ink stain will be visible. Now, simply measure from the top to the point where the ink stain begins. This measurement is "l."

Reaction score
"Start your graph from the origin"?

Same question in past paper
MS Says "best fit straight line NOT through (0,0)"
thanx man you just cleared everything for me :) i was thinkin about that origin thingy since the physics atp but that marking scheme now tells it all yay!!!!