• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Physics Applications

Reaction score
Applications are like the hardest part in the entire syllabus! :'( im having so much problem...
I have found so many contradictions between the booklet, the marking schemes and the cie endorsed text book. So if any 1 faces such a thing then plz post ur doubt here and surely some1 will give the confirmed answer of the idea.

for example, in x-ray production, the booklet says when high-speed electrons strike a metal target, large accelerations occur and radiations are produced. But in the marking scheme and the CIE endorsed book (David Sang), it says deceleration of electrons causes radiation...im confused :/ what is the right thing?

Reaction score
Applications are like the hardest part in the entire syllabus! :'( im having so much problem...
I have found so many contradictions between the booklet, the marking schemes and the cie endorsed text book. So if any 1 faces such a thing then plz post ur doubt here and surely some1 will give the confirmed answer of the idea.

for example, in x-ray production, the booklet says when high-speed electrons strike a metal target, large accelerations occur and radiations are produced. But in the marking scheme and the CIE endorsed book (David Sang), it says deceleration of electrons causes radiation...im confused :/ what is the right thing?
I believe this is the right answer.. x-rays for medical diagnostic procedures or for research purposes are produced in a standard way: by accelerating electrons with a high voltage and allowing them to collide with a metal target. X-rays are produced when the electrons are suddenly decelerated upon collision with the metal target; these x-rays are commonly called brehmsstrahlung radiation.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I believe this is the right answer.. x-rays for medical diagnostic procedures or for research purposes are produced in a standard way: by accelerating electrons with a high voltage and allowing them to collide with a metal target. X-rays are produced when the electrons are suddenly decelerated upon collision with the metal target; these x-rays are commonly called brehmsstrahlung radiation.
Hope this helps!
yea so if they had mentioned the large change in acceleration produces a radiation,that would have been a better statement:p
Thanx btw :)