• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

PAPER 6 QUESTION CHEMISTRY NEED HELP

Reaction score
Hiii! our teacher showed us how. I'll share.
measure a known mass of the petrol fuel. Fix the beaker with the thermometer ( with the known volume of water) in the stand. Light the spirit burner and allow it to heat the water until it reaches a certain temperature. Repeat the experiment with the Bioethanol fuel. Last, measure the final masses of the fuels. the fuel that used the least mass to heat the water to the known temperature is the one that has more energy per unit mass. I hope i helped.

Reaction score
Okay, so in my opinion.. It is like this..
First when you draw keep the retort stand first down, above that place the balance and the spirit burner, above that you can keep a small tripod stand and place the copper can, with the thermometer held by the retort.
In the experiment, use two different fuels in the spirit burner and see how quick the water is heated by using a stop watch, and also measure the mass of spirit burner as fuel is used up..
Repeat this experiment with the other fuel and compare which fuel heats up the copper can faster through the thermometer and the how much mass is loss.
the fuel which heats faster but loses less mass produces more energy.

Reaction score
Set up the diagram like this
chemsitry.jpg
Put Bioethanol as the liquid in the spirit burner.
Check the mass and note it down
Burn it for 30 minutes
Check the temperature recorded in the thermometer

Repeat the same experiment with the other fuel.
One with more temp after 30 minutes is the one giving off more energy.

EDIT : You can look at the above posts for a better explanation