• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Paper 5 Tips !! :)

Reaction score
xhizors

Please can you tell me how we are supposed to draw the diagram for JUNE12/52 q1 c
It's a decomposition reaction of Ammonium Nitrate in which both water vapour has to be condensed and collected and Nitrogen(I)oxide has to be collected too...I cant understand how both water vapour and gas collection has to be done?

https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/attachments/screen-shot-2013-05-07-at-9-16-31-pm-png.25142/
Soldier313 attempts, i think this is nice shot

Reaction score
Reaction score
Reaction score
Aoa wr wb

xhizors @ all other p5 candidates

Can you please help me with the diagram in qn 1 of this paper?
and qn 2, could someone please tell me what values they get for solubility?
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_qp_52.pdf
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s11_ms_52.pdf

Thanx a lot
JazakAllah khair :)
Was wr wb

in q1) (idea for a apparatus setup)
-You take 250Cm3 conical flask
-Pour Na2S2O3 in flask
-put it in Thermostatically controlled water bath with a temperature set up
-measure the temperature of water bath using thermometer
-now place the conical flask in water bath and start the stopwatch
- stop the stopwatch as conical flask becomes opaque
make sure the container is not closed

in q2
u calculate solubility by (mass of solid x 100)/mass of water
mass of solid = D-C
mass of water = C-B

hope it helps

Reaction score
Was wr wb

in q1) (idea for a apparatus setup)
-You take 250Cm3 conical flask
-Pour Na2S2O3 in flask
-put it in Thermostatically controlled water bath with a temperature set up
-measure the temperature of water bath using thermometer
-now place the conical flask in water bath and start the stopwatch
- stop the stopwatch as conical flask becomes opaque
make sure the container is not closed

in q2
u calculate solubility by (mass of solid x 100)/mass of water
mass of solid = D-C
mass of water = C-B

hope it helps
Thanx a lot!!

okay for qn 1, i did that, but the ms says that yu can't start timing w/0 allowing the reactants to reach the required temperature, so doesn't tht mean that both the reactants in their separate flasks must be placed in the water bath before the reaction commences.
and secondly, the thermometer, the ms mentions if we talk about placing the thermometer in the water bath, we must do something called 'equilibration' :O i don't quite get this bit.

for qn 2, thanx for the method, i have already done that, the problem comes when i plot, i get 5 anomalies, but perhaps it's my error in plotting.
just another small qn, could you please elaborate on 2 part d, i don't quite get what the question is asking :(

JazakAllah khair inshaAllah!

Reaction score
Thanx a lot!!

okay for qn 1, i did that, but the ms says that yu can't start timing w/0 allowing the reactants to reach the required temperature, so doesn't tht mean that both the reactants in their separate flasks must be placed in the water bath before the reaction commences.
and secondly, the thermometer, the ms mentions if we talk about placing the thermometer in the water bath, we must do something called 'equilibration' :O i don't quite get this bit.

for qn 2, thanx for the method, i have already done that, the problem comes when i plot, i get 5 anomalies, but perhaps it's my error in plotting.
just another small qn, could you please elaborate on 2 part d, i don't quite get what the question is asking :(

JazakAllah khair inshaAllah!
"but the ms says that yu can't start timing w/0 allowing the reactants to reach the required temperature"
Time must be only measured for the temperature on which we are required to carry an experiment (we are investigating temp effect) so we only care for the temp we are investigating..
u can warm them separately but their is a possible for heat losses when u mixing them etc (reactant temp changes)

nhe bahi, it is saying:

However, in (d) in order
to access the ‘temperature’ mark using such a water-bath
‘equilibration’ must be stated or clearly implied.)

means if nothing stated in diagram for temp as mention
check for something (same/equal) in d part!

did ur anamolies get straight path on line :p ?

for Q2d
a little fact:
high temperature @ 80 graph shows solubility
lower temp @ 35 shows solid deposits
Q's says find mass deposit for 50g by using graph

brilliant attempt by MaxStudentALevel
I got 14.3g deposited.

----> According to my curve at 85degrees=40g per 100g so 20g per50g (SO 20g dissolved)
-----> Also same for 35 degrees = 11.5g per 100g so 5.7 per 50 (SO 5.7g dissolved)

MEANING initial mass dissolved -final mass dissolved = deposited solid.
----> 20-5.7 = 14.3g

Dua karna for me! ;)

Reaction score
did that help?
yes it did!

PS: but about the heating of the solutions before the experiment, i still am confused, because i think that both solns must be heated before we mix them, because if we measure temperature after the experiment has commenced, , the temperature will be rising as the experiment is going on due to the difference in the temp of the solutions and the water bath temperature, while the temperature actually needs to be the same throughout the experiment.

Reaction score
yes it did!

PS: but about the heating of the solutions before the experiment, i still am confused, because i think that both solns must be heated before we mix them, because if we measure temperature after the experiment has commenced, , the temperature will be rising as the experiment is going on due to the difference in the temp of the solutions and the water bath temperature, while the temperature actually needs to be the same throughout the experiment.
Expt has to be commenced on a given temp say 30*C for expt 1
u set the temp of a water bath
u place the conical flask in water with mixture u measure temp and start stopwatch when 30*C hits
at this point temp of water in bath = mixture of solution in flask as they are in equilibrium (zeroth law)
if u start stopwatch before 30*C hits u measure rate for x-30*C
now tell me which part is unclear!

Reaction score
i
Enthalpy Change of Solution(Use Calorimeter)

-Pour Water 50cm3 in Plastic cup
-stir a little and measure its temperature (remem 0.2 graduations) its initial temp
-cautiously take NaOH as it is corrosive (use hand gloves as it can react with a moisture in your hand) measure 30cm3 of Naoh using measuring cylinder
-pour alkali in plastic cup stir it with thermometer and record the highest temperature

Thats it no more Rocket science
use equation Q=mc4T => 80gx4.2x(65-30)
here u get the Enthalpy change of Solution

Pray for me that i get able to make my way toward a World Distinction Inshallah!!
INSHALLAH bro u will get worldwide distinction.

Reaction score
Can you guys also suggest a sensible diagram for NOV10/53 q1
What sort of internal separation device will be used here to separate H2O2 and the catalyst??

Reaction score
so in case i have any doubts any paper will u be able to help mee? i woul be sooo thankful

Reaction score
u place the conical flask in water with mixture u measure temp and start stopwatch when 30*C hits
at this point temp of water in bath = mixture of solution in flask as they are in equilibrium (zeroth law)

Won't the reaction start immediately after mixing the reactants...Aren't we supposed to heat the two solutions separately in a water bath until they come to equilibrium with the temp of water bath and then we mix them and start timing??

Reaction score
Won't the reaction start immedicately after mixing the reactants...Aren't we supposed to heat the two solutions separately in a water bath until they come to equilibrium with the temp of water bath and then we mix them and start timing??

exactly, this is the bit that i don't get as Wanderer suggested.

Reaction score
Salam to all
Can somebody explain me how to give explanations for anomalous points?? I get a little confused,