• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
please tell that how the [14 marks] question is checked and how many paragraphs we have to write.I mean I want to know that what is the criteria for checking the question.

Reaction score
I have heard that using extra sheets leaves a bad impression on examiner is it true ????? Does cutting get negative marking ???

Reaction score
14 marks questions are usually the easiest of all 3 parts .... You have to identify the meaning of question and relate the timeline to 3 most important events and describe the event and its importance ( both positive and negative ). For such you will get up to 11-13 marks but if you include a conclusion in the end with gud argument you can achieve full marks :) ... You should write in 3 or 4 paragraphs

Reaction score
14 marks questions are usually the easiest of all 3 parts .... You have to identify the meaning of question and relate the timeline to 3 most important events and describe the event and its importance ( both positive and negative ). For such you will get up to 11-13 marks but if you include a conclusion in the end with gud argument you can achieve full marks :) ... You should write in 3 or 4 paragraphs

but our teacher said we have to write in 8 paragraphs [7 for reasons and 1 for conclusion]so it is very difficult for me to manage time.have u given your o level papers.if u hav given then please tell which format u wrote in in the 14 marks question and how were ur marks.

Reaction score
14 Mark Questions:

Different teachers will tell differently about this question. Some will say there need to be 8 paragraphs. Some will say 5.
For the 14 mark questions, the number of paragraphs can be between 5-8.
The reasons/events have to be around 4-7.
Mentioning a reason in each paragraph and then in the last paragraph you have to give conclusion to get 14/14.

There are different types of 14 mark questions:

1) Those related to Reasons/Causes. (Mughal Empire Decline, War of Independence failure)

You have to mentioned reasons in each paragraph followed by a conclusion.

2) Those related to events. (Events during the 1940's, 1927-1940)

You have to mention each event in a paragraph, explaining it and its importance. Then in the end give conclusion to get full marks.

3) Comparison. (Comparison between round table conferences, etc.)

You have to mention each conference in one paragraph and explain its failure and successes and then in the end give conclusion.

4) Related to Successes and Failures (''Negotiations during Second World War were totally unsuccessful. Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]")

You have to mention each negotiation and its success in paving the path for independence, and its downside that prevented it from being of much success.

There are many other types of 14 mark questions. Not always related to events and reasons.
Its not the number of paragraphs that matters, its the content you present to the examiner and the way you present it, that's what decides your grades.

Reaction score
14 Mark Questions:

Different teachers will tell differently about this question. Some will say there need to be 8 paragraphs. Some will say 5.
For the 14 mark questions, the number of paragraphs can be between 5-8.
The reasons/events have to be around 4-7.
Mentioning a reason in each paragraph and then in the last paragraph you have to give conclusion to get 14/14.

There are different types of 14 mark questions:

1) Those related to Reasons/Causes. (Mughal Empire Decline, War of Independence failure)

You have to mentioned reasons in each paragraph followed by a conclusion.

2) Those related to events. (Events during the 1940's, 1927-1940)

You have to mention each event in a paragraph, explaining it and its importance. Then in the end give conclusion to get full marks.

3) Comparison. (Comparison between round table conferences, etc.)

You have to mention each conference in one paragraph and explain its failure and successes and then in the end give conclusion.

4) Related to Successes and Failures (''Negotiations during Second World War were totally unsuccessful. Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]")

You have to mention each negotiation and its success in paving the path for independence, and its downside that prevented it from being of much success.

There are many other types of 14 mark questions. Not always related to events and reasons.
Its not the number of paragraphs that matters, its the content you present to the examiner and the way you present it, that's what decides your grades.

thanx alot it made my vision towards 14 mark question clear

Reaction score
I have heard that using extra sheets leaves a bad impression on examiner is it true ????? Does cutting get negative marking ???
As extra sheets are clearly allowed, they will not have any bad impression and there's no negative marking in CIE.

Reaction score
As extra sheets are clearly allowed, they will not have any bad impression and there's no negative marking in CIE.

are u sure,Abt any subject like language specifically urdu paper,So can cutting be the cause of negative marking..

Reaction score
are u sure,Abt any subject like language specifically urdu paper,So can cutting be the cause of negative marking..
Yes, if they are allowed, you will not be penalized...... except in Islamiat i think(coz they are not allowed).....
And no, cutting will not lead to negative marking..... but if you make too much of a mess with cuts and the examiner doesnt understand the rest you have written, then there will be no marks to cut from(he wouldnt give you marks in the first place)..... so even if you are cutting(which is allowed), do it neatly.....

Reaction score
Can anyone help me I have confusion e.g if question is were religious views of sir syed his most important contribution in the developing cause for Muslims during the nineteenth century?..Are we need to explain all his contributions such as in politics,religious,education and improving relationship between Muslims and British. In Marking scheme it is written you need explain at least two factors including religious to achieve level 3.So please clear out the confusion how many factors needed to be explained to get full marks .And can anyone give marks for my answers if I post them? .Thanx

Reaction score
Can anyone help me I have confusion e.g if question is were religious views of sir syed his most important contribution in the developing cause for Muslims during the nineteenth century?..Are we need to explain all his contributions such as in politics,religious,education and improving relationship between Muslims and British. In Marking scheme it is written you need explain at least two factors including religious to achieve level 3.So please clear out the confusion how many factors needed to be explained to get full marks .And can anyone give marks for my answers if I post them? .Thanx
Well try to do it like this, the first para should be a little introduction, then the next 2 paragraphs should explain the 1st factor(like religious), the further next 2 should be of the next factor(like education), and then the further 2 should explain the last factor(like political)......so the 2nd and 3rd para should always be of the thing mentioned in the question.....
Up til now there are 7 paragraphs, 6 for reasons (3 factors in total) and 1 was introductory, so now write a last paragraph containing the conclusion/your view.

Reaction score
hello..... i have heard about the forum from my frnd anyway i am really tensed ...... in my urdu paper b i had wriiten the essay half but then i had cut it all properly and had wriiten rough on the page. then from the other page i wrote a new one ...... woukd my marks be deducted :eek:

Reaction score
hello..... i have heard about the forum from my frnd anyway i am really tensed ...... in my urdu paper b i had wriiten the essay half but then i had cut it all properly and had wriiten rough on the page. then from the other page i wrote a new one ...... woukd my marks be deducted :eek:
Not if you have made it clear, with headings, or like writing the rough draft with pencil, that what is what......
The main thing is properly conveying you message..... If you have done it, you are golden!!!

Reaction score
. No I don't think if u made it clear then ....

Reaction score
Yes, if they are allowed, you will not be penalized...... except in Islamiat i think(coz they are not allowed).....
And no, cutting will not lead to negative marking..... but if you make too much of a mess with cuts and the examiner doesnt understand the rest you have written, then there will be no marks to cut from(he wouldnt give you marks in the first place)..... so even if you are cutting(which is allowed), do it neatly.....

Yup,my cutting was messy but it is still perfectly in any situation whatsoever to easily makeup what was written so that won,t lead to mark deduction,right?.

Reaction score
Yup,my cutting was messy but it is still perfectly in any situation whatsoever to easily makeup what was written so that won,t lead to mark deduction,right?.
Yup.....
Frankly speaking, all of us, including me.... v made a little mess in at least one paper due to the time shortage etc.... so just hope for the best and pray that v get A* on the 13!! :p

Reaction score
Yup.....
Frankly speaking, all of us, including me.... v made a little mess in at least one paper due to the time shortage etc.... so just hope for the best and pray that v get A* on the 13!! :p

Insha Allah,Today is gonna be the 27th u know.
Right on!!

Reaction score

You have the wrong concepts regarding this question!
There are TWO types of 14 mark questions that can come in exam about Sir Syed Ahmed Khan.
They are totally different. If you mix them together or confuse between them, you won't get a good grade. Mark my words!
One question is about CONTRIBUTIONS.. and the other is about VIEWS. They are different things.

Sir Syed Ahmed Khan was a Reformer who worked to develop the Muslim cause during the 19th Century, after the war of independence (1857).
He had views, that other Muslims contradicted.
In order to understand this, you need to know what the Muslims were up to.
After the War of Independence, the position of the Muslims was worse than ever. They were not getting any job or education opportunities. British and Hindus treated Muslims like second class citizens and they had put the entire blame of the 1857 war on the Muslims. Hindus were prospering due to the Muslim backwardness.
During this critical stage of Muslim Downfall, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan became prominent. His views can be divided into:

1) Religious Views:

- Muslims and Christians are not much different.
- No harm in talking to Christians.
- He was of the view that getting MODERN and SCIENTIFIC education was not against Religion of Islam. (The Ulema rejected this view)
- There were similarities between British and Muslims (Islam and Christianity).
- Going to British Universities was not against Islam.

2) Educational Views:

- Lack of Education was the reason for Muslim Backwardness.
- Muslims need to learn English Language in order to communicate with British.
- Education is needed to get Jobs.
- Scientific Education is important.
- Hindus are getting Education and prospering. Muslims need to counter that.

3) Social Views:

- Muslims should not view the British with Hatred.
- He was aware of the poor Social condition of India.
- Hindus were socially against Muslims and considered them inferior.
- British were more inclined towards Hindus, socially.
- In order to improve social status of Muslims, they need to get Education.
- There was a need to improve relations between Muslims and British.

4) Political Views:

- Separate Electorate. (He was the first person, in history of the subcontinent, to suggest SEPARATE ELECTORATE for Muslims, followed by Simla Deputation, Formation of Muslim League which fought for Muslim rights and PAKISTAN was formed.. He sowed the seed for the formation of Pakistan)
- Muslims should not join Congress party as it was against Muslim interests.
- Muslims should stay away from Politics, for now.
- Political interests of Muslims can only be protected if they get Education as Muslims had no knowledge about Politics.
- TWO NATION THEORY (Most important Political View) - Muslims and Hindus were two separate nations.. (This formed the basis of the Pakistan Resolution and Pakistan was formed due to it).

So, if a question comes about views:

Q. ''Religious Views for Sir Syed were most important in developing the cause of Muslims during 19th Century''. Do you agree? Explain.'' [14 marks]

You have to mention his Religious, Social, Educational and Political views in separate paragraphs and then in the last paragraph give a conclusion to get 14/14.
In this question, his CONTRIBUTIONS should NOT Be mentioned, like he established those colleges and wrote all those books and stuff. That does not need to be mentioned. Since this question is about VIEWS. Only a little bit about Contributions can be mentioned, but it does not give a good impression on the Examiner. Try to explain his VIEWS in detail.

But if a question comes like:

Q. ''Sir Syed's contribution to Education was the most important in developing the cause of Muslims during 19th century'' Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]"

You have to mention all the contributions, Educational, Religious, Social, Political.. and then in the end give the conclusion.

So CONTRIBUTIONS and VIEWS are different questions.

Reaction score
You have the wrong concepts regarding this question!
There are TWO types of 14 mark questions that can come in exam about Sir Syed Ahmed Khan.
They are totally different. If you mix them together or confuse between them, you won't get a good grade. Mark my words!
One question is about CONTRIBUTIONS.. and the other is about VIEWS. They are different things.

Sir Syed Ahmed Khan was a Reformer who worked to develop the Muslim cause during the 19th Century, after the war of independence (1857).
He had views, that other Muslims contradicted.
In order to understand this, you need to know what the Muslims were up to.
After the War of Independence, the position of the Muslims was worse than ever. They were not getting any job or education opportunities. British and Hindus treated Muslims like second class citizens and they had put the entire blame of the 1857 war on the Muslims. Hindus were prospering due to the Muslim backwardness.
During this critical stage of Muslim Downfall, Sir Syed Ahmed Khan became prominent. His views can be divided into:

1) Religious Views:

- Muslims and Christians are not much different.
- No harm in talking to Christians.
- He was of the view that getting MODERN and SCIENTIFIC education was not against Religion of Islam. (The Ulema rejected this view)
- There were similarities between British and Muslims (Islam and Christianity).
- Going to British Universities was not against Islam.

2) Educational Views:

- Lack of Education was the reason for Muslim Backwardness.
- Muslims need to learn English Language in order to communicate with British.
- Education is needed to get Jobs.
- Scientific Education is important.
- Hindus are getting Education and prospering. Muslims need to counter that.

3) Social Views:

- Muslims should not view the British with Hatred.
- He was aware of the poor Social condition of India.
- Hindus were socially against Muslims and considered them inferior.
- British were more inclined towards Hindus, socially.
- In order to improve social status of Muslims, they need to get Education.
- There was a need to improve relations between Muslims and British.

4) Political Views:

- Separate Electorate. (He was the first person, in history of the subcontinent, to suggest SEPARATE ELECTORATE for Muslims, followed by Simla Deputation, Formation of Muslim League which fought for Muslim rights and PAKISTAN was formed.. He sowed the seed for the formation of Pakistan)
- Muslims should not join Congress party as it was against Muslim interests.
- Muslims should stay away from Politics, for now.
- Political interests of Muslims can only be protected if they get Education as Muslims had no knowledge about Politics.
- TWO NATION THEORY (Most important Political View) - Muslims and Hindus were two separate nations.. (This formed the basis of the Pakistan Resolution and Pakistan was formed due to it).

So, if a question comes about views:

Q. ''Religious Views for Sir Syed were most important in developing the cause of Muslims during 19th Century''. Do you agree? Explain.'' [14 marks]

You have to mention his Religious, Social, Educational and Political views in separate paragraphs and then in the last paragraph give a conclusion to get 14/14.
In this question, his CONTRIBUTIONS should NOT Be mentioned, like he established those colleges and wrote all those books and stuff. That does not need to be mentioned. Since this question is about VIEWS. Only a little bit about Contributions can be mentioned, but it does not give a good impression on the Examiner. Try to explain his VIEWS in detail.

But if a question comes like:

Q. ''Sir Syed's contribution to Education was the most important in developing the cause of Muslims during 19th century'' Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]"

You have to mention all the contributions, Educational, Religious, Social, Political.. and then in the end give the conclusion.

So CONTRIBUTIONS and VIEWS are different questions.
Well thanx but How come we can prove his views and tell their impact without mentioning the contributions he has made .Moreover this is remark of examiner on this question :
Part (c) was generally very well answered by most candidates who were knowledgeable about Sir Syed
Ahmad Khan. Candidates were required to explain his contributions to the cause of the Muslims, which
included his religious views. Again, the crucial part of the question hinged on explaining his contributions
rather than describing his career. A mere description of this resulted in only a Level 2 mark. However, most
candidates were able to explain his contributions and a Level 4 mark was achieved where candidates were
able to explain his contributions through religion and other aspects of his work such as education and
politics.
So that means we need to mention and explain his contributions as well