• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Tips for getting A* in Pakistan studies:

- Familiarize yourself with the syllabus outline, for Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Use ''Nigel Kelly'' for History, and ''Huma Naz Sethi'' for Geography.
- Read these two books as much as you can. Master everything. Memorize all the facts, details, events for History. For Geography, understand all the chapters.
- Pay most attention to ''Agriculture, Climate, Water, Power and Population'' for Geography, these are the most important chapters.
- Solve lots of past papers for Geography, as that is the key to an A*.
- For History, after memorizing everything from the book, start to solve past papers.
- You should know the pattern of 4 mark, 7 mark, and 14 mark questions.

4 mark questions--> You have to write any 4 facts related to the question. A source is given to help you.
7 mark questions--> You have to write 3 paragraphs, 3 reasons, one page. It mostly consists of questions start start with ''Why''..

Why did the Mughal Empire Decline? [7 marks]
Why was the Aligarh Movement started? [7 marks]
Why did the Cripps Mission fail? [7 marks]
Why did the Gandhi Jinnah Talks fail? [7 marks]
Why were three round table conferences held? [7 marks]
Why was the Government of India Act 1935 important? [7 marks]
Why was congress rule hated? [7 marks]
Why was the Pakistan Resolution important for the History of pakistan? [7 marks]
Why did the Simla Conference fail? [7 marks]
Why did the Khilafat Movement fail? [7 marks]
Why was the Khilafat Movement started? [7 marks]
Why was the partition of Bengal reversed in 1911? [7 marks]
Why was Bengal partitioned in 1905? [7 marks]
Why was the Muslim League formed in 1906? [7 marks]
Why was the Simla Deputation an important turning point for the muslims? [7 marks]

So, you see, they mostly start with '''Why''.. and you need to explain three reasons for each!
Make notes of these questions.
Write a question, and then briefly write three reasons under-neath it.
Like..

Q. Why was the Simla Deputation 1906 important? [7 marks]
---> Separate Electorate was accepted.
---> Extra weight-age for Muslims in councils was accepted.
---> Lead to the formation of Muslim League.
---> Boosted the confidence of the Muslims (This was the first time they asked for demands, in an organized way)
---> Sir Syed's efforts for good relations with British finally bore fruit.

Now, when writing an answer to a 7 mark questions elaborate any three reasons, one reason in one paragraph, and write a full page answer. You should be able to write this in 5-7 minutes. The reasons should be in your mind.
If you don't answer this question correctly, if you go about writing facts.. then you will get 4/7..
In order to get 7/7 you NEED to explain the reasons, not the facts.

Like in a Simla Deputation [7 mark] question, a student might go explaining what the simla deputation was, in the first paragraph. This ''Introduction'' is not needed. The examiner wants you to go direct to-the-point and tell him the reasons.
Start right away with ''Simla Deputation was an important turning point for the muslims because... ''
In second paragraph, ''It also proved to be important in the sense that... ''
And last paragraph .. ''It's importance can also be judged by the fact that...''

And you can get 7/7.

As far as the 14 mark questions are concerned.
You need to explain all the events, reasons, and give a conclusion in the end to get 14/14.

Q. Was the arrival of the British the main reason for the decline of the Mughal Empire? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. ''The Doctrine of Lapse'' was the main cause of the War of Independence. Do you agree? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. Lack of unity and co-ordination was the major reason for the failure of the War of Independence. Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]
Q. Was the 1st round table conference the most successful of the three? Explain. [14 marks]
Q. Were Geographical reasons the most important in partitioning Bengal? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. ''The Hijrat Movement was the main reason for the failure of Khilafat Movement'' Do you agree? Explain your answer. [14 marks]

So, you see.. in these questions they ask for ''Critical analysis''. Some one who goes about explaining the events, will not get the maximum marks.
In order to get maximum marks you need to critically analyse all the events and explain how they are related to the given questions.
Like, in a ''Mughal Empire reasons for decline'' [14 mark] question, you have to explain each reason in one paragraph, and you have to critically analyse it and explain HOW it contributed to the decline. You just not have to tell the facts, you have to analyse it and present it in an analytically before the examiners.
And in the end, give the conclusion, depending on what you think.
Example: ''With objective analysis it can be concluded that the arrival of the British was the main reason for the decline of the Mughal Empire. Although there were several other very important reasons, but this was by far the most important. Had the British not arrived, the Mughal Empire might not have declined that early''.

Coming to the four mark questions. They are the most easy. Just write 4 relevant facts, and 4/4. Easy!

Q. What was the Simla Deputation? [4 marks]
Q. What was the Indian National Congress? [4 marks]

Now, they don't necessarily start with ''What''.
They can start with ''Who''..

Q. Who was Ranjit Singh? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Robert Clive? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Titu Mir? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Shah Wali Ullah? [4 marks]

They can also start with ''Describe''..

Q. Describe Shah Wali Ullahs achievements for Islamic Revival. [4 marks]

Now in such a question, you have to tell any 4 of his achievements.

- So, knowing how to answer the questions, the way that is required by the examiner, is an art. And that is what will get you an A*, not just plain understanding of the book.

- For Geography, read all the book, memorize everything, solve past papers, read marking scheme, Blah Blah, get A*.

Hope this helps. :)
Took me half an hour to type this.

Reaction score
Tips for getting A* in Pakistan studies:

- Familiarize yourself with the syllabus outline, for Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Use ''Nigel Kelly'' for History, and ''Huma Naz Sethi'' for Geography.
- Read these two books as much as you can. Master everything. Memorize all the facts, details, events for History. For Geography, understand all the chapters.
- Pay most attention to ''Agriculture, Climate, Water, Power and Population'' for Geography, these are the most important chapters.
- Solve lots of past papers for Geography, as that is the key to an A*.
- For History, after memorizing everything from the i sl.?book, start to solve past papers.
- You should know the pattern of 4 mark, 7 mark, and 14 mark questions.

4 mark questions--> You have to write any 4 facts related to the question. A source is given to help you.
7 mark questions--> You have to write 3 paragraphs, 3 reasons, one page. It mostly consists of questions start start with ''Why''..

Why did the Mughal Empire Decline? [7 marks]
Why was the Aligarh Movement started? [7 marks]
Why did the Cripps Mission fail? [7 marks]
Why did the Gandhi Jinnah Talks fail? [7 marks]
Why were three round table conferences held? [7 marks]
Why was the Government of India Act 1935 important? [7 marks]
Why was congress rule hated? [7 marks]
Why was the Pakistan Resolution important for the History of pakistan? [7 marks]
Why did the Simla Conference fail? [7 marks]
Why did the Khilafat Movement fail? [7 marks]
Why was the Khilafat Movement started? [7 marks]
Why was the partition of Bengal reversed in 1911? [7 marks]
Why was Bengal partitioned in 1905? [7 marks]
Why was the Muslim League formed in 1906? [7 marks]
Why was the Simla Deputation an important turning point for the muslims? [7 marks]

So, you see, they mostly start with '''Why''.. and you need to explain three reasons for each!
Make notes of these questions.
Write a question, and then briefly write three reasons under-neath it.
Like..

Q. Why was the Simla Deputation 1906 important? [7 marks]
---> Separate Electorate was accepted.
---> Extra weight-age for Muslims in councils was accepted.
---> Lead to the formation of Muslim League.
---> Boosted the confidence of the Muslims (This was the first time they asked for demands, in an organized way)
---> Sir Syed's efforts for good relations with British finally bore fruit.

Now, when writing an answer to a 7 mark questions elaborate any three reasons, one reason in one paragraph, and write a full page answer. You should be able to write this in 5-7 minutes. The reasons should be in your mind.
If you don't answer this question correctly, if you go about writing facts.. then you will get 4/7..
In order to get 7/7 you NEED to explain the reasons, not the facts.

Like in a Simla Deputation [7 mark] question, a student might go explaining what the simla deputation was, in the first paragraph. This ''Introduction'' is not needed. The examiner wants you to go direct to-the-point and tell him the reasons.
Start right away with ''Simla Deputation was an important turning point for the muslims because... ''
In second paragraph, ''It also proved to be important in the sense that... ''
And last paragraph .. ''It's importance can also be judged by the fact that...''

And you can get 7/7.

As far as the 14 mark questions are concerned.
You need to explain all the events, reasons, and give a conclusion in the end to get 14/14.

Q. Was the arrival of the British the main reason for the decline of the Mughal Empire? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. ''The Doctrine of Lapse'' was the main cause of the War of Independence. Do you agree? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. Lack of unity and co-ordination was the major reason for the failure of the War of Independence. Do you agree? Explain. [14 marks]
Q. Was the 1st round table conference the most successful of the three? Explain. [14 marks]
Q. Were Geographical reasons the most important in partitioning Bengal? Explain your answer. [14 marks]
Q. ''The Hijrat Movement was the main reason for the failure of Khilafat Movement'' Do you agree? Explain your answer. [14 marks]

So, you see.. in these questions they ask for ''Critical analysis''. Some one who goes about explaining the events, will not get the maximum marks.
In order to get maximum marks you need to critically analyse all the events and explain how they are related to the given questions.
Like, in a ''Mughal Empire reasons for decline'' [14 mark] question, you have to explain each reason in one paragraph, and you have to critically analyse it and explain HOW it contributed to the decline. You just not have to tell the facts, you have to analyse it and present it in an analytically before the examiners.
And in the end, give the conclusion, depending on what you think.
Example: ''With objective analysis it can be concluded that the arrival of the British was the main reason for the decline of the Mughal Empire. Although there were several other very important reasons, but this was by far the most important. Had the British not arrived, the Mughal Empire might not have declined that early''.

Coming to the four mark questions. They are the most easy. Just write 4 relevant facts, and 4/4. Easy!

Q. What was the Simla Deputation? [4 marks]
Q. What was the Indian National Congress? [4 marks]

Now, they don't necessarily start with ''What''.
They can start with ''Who''..

Q. Who was Ranjit Singh? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Robert Clive? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Titu Mir? [4 marks]
Q. Who was Shah Wali Ullah? [4 marks]

They can also start with ''Describe''..

Q. Describe Shah Wali Ullahs achievements for Islamic Revival. [4 marks]

Now in such a question, you have to tell any 4 of his achievements.

- So, knowing how to answer the questions, the way that is required by the examiner, is an art. And that is what will get you an A*, not just plain understanding of the book.

- For Geography, read all the book, memorize everything, solve past papers, read marking scheme, Blah Blah, get A*.

Hope this helps. :)
Took me half an hour to type this.

Reaction score
ANSWERING METHOD :
(1) For a 4 mark question, LIST 4 points, neither an explanation of the question is required nor a conclusion at the end of the point (4/4 marks awarded).
(2) For a 7 mark question, EXPLAIN 3 points (in 3 different paragraphs), requires the entire explanation of the point with a conclusion that relates the answer to the question (7/7 marks awarded).
(3) For a 14 mark question, EXPLAIN 7 points (in 7 different paragraphs), requires the same answering technique that a 7 mark question does (Explanation + conclusion of point), but to get the 14th mark you need to give your own judgement as a conclusion for the question (Like arrival of the British was more important for the decline of Mughal Empire) , this should written in a separate paragraph (14/14 marks awarded).

Reaction score
what is most likely to come in islamiat

p1:
Q1: Quranic passages
Q2: importance and history of Quran
Q3: and Q4: Life of Holy Prophet
Q5: 1st islamic comm.

p2:
Q1: hadiths
Q2: history and imp of hadiths
Q3: caliphs
Q4: Articles of faith
Q5: pillars of islam

Note: this is what i have seen the pattern of all past papers.

Reaction score
p1:
Q1: Quranic passages
Q2: importance and history of Quran
Q3: and Q4: Life of Holy Prophet
Q5: 1st islamic comm.

p2:
Q1: hadiths
Q2: history and imp of hadiths
Q3: caliphs
Q4: Articles of faith
Q5: pillars of islam

Note: this is what i have seen the pattern of all past papers.

The questions regarding the rights and treatment of neighbors,parents,women etc. Where do they fall into?

Reaction score
Aoa, i am actually a tutor (business graduate with a finance major) . I gave my IGCSE and Alevels from Dammam KSA and i went to a business university in Pakistan. My question is that is it absolutely necessary to give Pak studies and Islamiyaat in ur olevels to get admissions in Pakistani universities(if ur doing ur olevels from abroad) . I ddnt give them and faced no problems in my equivalence certificate and got admissions, but my students here in KSA have continuosly come up to me with this querie and i want to know is the rules have changed now. I passed my olevels i. 2007 and alevels in 2009. Got straight a* in IG's with an A in urdu Olvels and 3 a's in Alevels. Want to know if i ddint face a problem cz my grades were good or cz it wasnt needed...i no for sure it wasnt a must in my time but have the rules changed now?.

Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with 3 references to each Question.??
  1. "Describe the difficulties faced by the followers of the Holy Prophet in Makka?" [10]
  2. "Write about the life of Holy Prophet up until the first revelation" [10]
  3. "Describe the events relating to the Holy Prophet's experiences in caves" [10]
  4. "Outline the main events of the prophet's Journey From Makka to Madina" [10]
  5. 'Write about the Prophet's Muhammad's interaction with Quraish While he lived in Makka, before and after revelation" [10]

I need the References Urgently..:( My exam is in two days.. my teacher asks for 3 references in each 10 marks Question...
If anyone can answer either any of them please do..
Please helpp.... :(

Reaction score
Can anyone please provide me with "three" reasons to answer on the following Questions?

Why was the Kashmir issue a problem for Pakistan in 1947-48?
Why was Canal water dispute a problem for Pakistan in 1947-48?
Why was the refugee problem a problem for Pakistan in 1947-48?
Why was the division of military and financial assets a problem for Pakistan in 1947-48?