• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Pakistan Studies History confusions:(urgent help and quick replies needed!)

Reaction score
Is it compulsory to always consider the reason in the question as the most important?and is it compulsory that the simplistic statement should always be related to that reason?and how are we supposed to attempt the "How successfull" 14 marks questions?how are we supposed to list all the successes and failures?and how we supposed to explain them?whats the layout/pattern for this question?And do we have to explain the result/significance/importance/effect of every event or reason we are discussing?and is the short paragraph provided in the markscheme just an example or do we have to include all the points in it?and another question concerning the markscheme,do we have to explain all the successes and failures they have provided in it?And what is the difference between a descriptive and an explanatory answer?And any tips for a distinction?
Please I need urgent help as the exam is only a few days away!I 'll be eternally grateful!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since in this type of question they're asking how successful were the British, we would talk about successes and failures both. In the paragraph which you would mention the successes, describe them order wise, but don't give the complete details of every war or annexation because that would be a lot time consuming, just write down about them in a line or two by telling what happened in the war. Don't forget to write down about doctrine of lapse in the success too!
For failure, do it order wise as well. Like start from Tipu sultan's successes, then ranjit singh's opposition and what happened when they went to Afghanistan. Mention the Anglo mysorian wars in it as well.
And then give your evaluation. The successes and failures should be in separate paragraphs....

Answer was originally posted by Umna.Asim

Reaction score
It is not compulsory to always consider the stated reason of the question as the most important because the markscheme says: LEVEL 5 As Level 4 - also produces a judgement or evaluation...meaning that judgement depends on our opinion but we have to evaluate that by supporting our opinion and prove that it is the most important for example, I would conclude the decline of mughal empire question as (disagreeing with the reason provided in the question):
The weaknesses of the successors of Aurangzeb were perhaps the most important reason which contributed to the decline of Mughal Empire and not the administrative problems since if the successors would have lived as determined and ideal rulers, the administrative problems would never have arose. Therefore, I disagree with the statement.

The short paragraph provided in the mark scheme is just an example of what candidates might refer to. Evidence can be taken from the Mark Scheme of June 2005 2059/01 paper, which states
• The examples of responses given in the mark scheme are not intended to be definitive. They are merely given as an example of the type of response which may be given by candidates.

As for describing all the successes and failures..seems like you have plans to get distinction, then those who get distinction will never leave anything they know...they would produce the best answers ever and never leave a single point to be included.

Descriptive answers are those which describe the event only like the question about khilafat movement's failures (Did the Khilafat Movement failed because of poor leadership), descriptive answers will describe the events that took place and may describe the failures as well...But explanatory answers are those which give reasons like in this example, such answers will say how this factor of failure like poor leadership lead to movement's failure? Explanation could be that because now there was no one to lead the nation and unite them for a single cause, it made the movement less effective so it failed.

As for distinction, that is just luck, a girl who got Biology worldwide distinction in may be last year, said she did not even expect it and was shocked to hear that she had got dinstinction neither she worked hard that much....then of course it was her luck. I think studying thoroughly as for History would help and asking Allah for help as prayers can even change the futures!...

BEST OF LUCK FOR EXAMS... Do pray for me as well!

Reaction score
I also need help in English paper... I want some topics for argumentative topics that can be expected since I have preactised almost all the past papers, I was looking for some other topics to practice on...
And also that is that expected that argumentative option will be included in English paper 12 this year?