• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

P1 MCQ's preparation thread for chemistry ONLY!!!!

Reaction score
Which statements abt the reaction of solid NaBr and concentrated H2SO4 is correct?
1 HBr is a product
2 Sulfuric Acid is oxidised to SO2
3 Bromide ions are reduced to Bromine

Answer is D.
SHouldn't it be A?

Reaction score
Which statements abt the reaction of solid NaBr and concentrated H2SO4 is correct?
1 HBr is a product

Answer is D.
SHouldn't it be A?

Write the equation first
NaBr+H2SO4 gives Na2SO4 and HBr. Here The bromide ions are not reduced to bromine but remain as bromine ions. And sulphuric acid is not oxidised to sulphur dioxide.

Reaction score
1 HBr is a product

Answer is D.
SHouldn't it be A?
No A is incorrect.Sulfuric acid itself is a strong oxidising agent.It won't be oxidised but would oxidise Br ions.3rd point is also false.Bromine ions are oxidised not reduced.(change in ox.state from -1 to 0)

Reaction score
No A is correct.Sulfuric acid itself is a strong oxidising agent.It won't be oxidised but would oxidise Br ions.3rd point is also false.Bromine ions are oxidised not reduced.(change in ox.state from -1 to 0)

Yeah I chose A. Imagine my surprise when I see the answer's D.
Maybe it has something to do with NaBr being in solid state?
EDIT after sudden realisation: See below

1 HBr is a product

Answer is D.
SHouldn't it be A?

Write the equation first

NaBr+H2SO4 gives Na2SO4 and HBr. Here The bromide ions are not reduced to bromine but remain as bromine ions. And sulphuric acid is not oxidised to sulphur dioxide.

Ur right. But we've learnt that HBr is a sufficiently strong RA to... yeah ur right.
This is a trick question.
Bromide ions can NEVER be reduced to Bromine.
Oxidation state will change from -1 to 0 (Oxidation)
And H2SO4 to S is reduction.
Hey, thanks.

Reaction score
IS 1357911 ryt or hopeforthebest ryt? Im sorry i didnt understand u

Reaction score
1 HBr is a product

Answer is D.
SHouldn't it be A?

Write the equation first

I've another prob:
s_11_qp12
Q35.
How can we validate A as being correct?

And Q11.

Attachments

• 9701_s11_qp_12.pdf
    151 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
IS 1357911 ryt or hopeforthebest ryt? Im sorry i didnt understand u
I apologize I wasn't clear enough.
Technically both of you are right.
hopeforthebest's right in the sense that during the aforementioned reaction, Bromide ions are oxidised to Bromine gas while H2SO4 is reduced to SO2.
It was a trick question... The switched the words "oxidised" and "reduced" between Bromide ions nd H2SO4.
And you would've gotten the mark so ur right in that context.

Reaction score
s_11_qp12
Q35.
Nitrogen ions are reduced to nitrogen atoms.NaOCl is a reducing agent(bleach). And NaCl gives a white precipitate with Silver nitrate.(Cations and anions Tests)