• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

New MCAT Policies for Medical Students???

Reaction score
Hi, I recently found out that from next year onwards the MCAT policies will be changing. Now the MCAT will be based 50% on FSC syllabus and 50% on A Level syllabus. Is this true?

If it's correct then one should opt for which now if they are just going to start their first year, A Level of FSC? Kindly provide your reasoning.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Yes, that's true. MCAT, starting from this year, will have a mixture of syllabus from both A'levels and FSC curriculum.

That has to be your own choice. People have different views about that. Most elders of mine recommended me to do FSC as the ratio of intermediate students getting on the merit list is more than the ratio of the students from A'levels. But the change in policy could be better for A'levels students and probably the ratios will change next time around. Weigh the pros and cons of both the options and you can make a decision. This topic has been discussed widely before so make a search and you may find a debate on this.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

This particular topic has not been discussed before because the policies changed just recently.

Reaction score
Yes! That's true. But last year too they changed something that ended in A'levels students protesting against it so the debate remains the same.
The main problem is the equivalency certificate where Alevels students lose alot of marks when compared to the FSC guys which always drops you down the merit list. Only straight As or A*s are deemed to be suitable for getting an admission into a medical university then.

Reaction score
Yeah and this 50% A Level syllabus and 50% FSC syllabus seems too good to be true. You are right about the Merit disadvantage. Therefore, weighing all the options, it's probable that FSC would still be the better choice for Medical students.

Reaction score
It kind of is. But I can say this that I have seen several A'levels students making it among the top of the merit list, if you are capable enough you'll surely get an admission into a medical university regardless of your higher secondary school education. If a person can't make it into a medical college after doing A'levels then probably he won't have made it even after doing FSC. So it is all about the capability of the student.