• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

more doubts in the CHEM syllabus

Reaction score
the syllabus is sooo CONFUSING!!! :x
i don't get what these mean, and even if i do, i don't understand them.......

1) Describe in outline the usefulness of chromatography in separating and identifying the product of hydrolysis of carbohydrates and proteins.

2) Describe the reactivity series as related to the tendancy of a metal to form positive ions, illustrated by its reaction, with aqueous ions, the oxides of other metals..... :( WHat does this mean......i have no idea what i just typed... :?

3) Plus how does a base react with ammonium salts? Or does it? (the syllabus says it does!!!) :evil:

Reaction score
The Ultimate said:
the syllabus is sooo CONFUSING!!! :x
i don't get what these mean, and even if i do, i don't understand them.......

1) Describe in outline the usefulness of chromatography in separating and identifying the product of hydrolysis of carbohydrates and proteins.

2) Describe the reactivity series as related to the tendancy of a metal to form positive ions, illustrated by its reaction, with aqueous ions, the oxides of other metals..... :( WHat does this mean......i have no idea what i just typed... :?

3) Plus how does a base react with ammonium salts? Or does it? (the syllabus says it does!!!) :evil:

Ah.... as it says ... for one ... Describe how chromatography is useful ( Checking for Purity , DNA Electrophoresis in matching Crime Suspect DNAs , and in Law as well ... , Checking for purity of Commercial foods which are doubted to contain illegal materials? )

Tendency of a metal to form positive ions would mean that it is more reactive , Like Potassium which is more reactive than copper and gold.. and Potassium reacts with water o_O and reduces other metal oxides , metals which are of lower reactivity.

The Reactivity series is like that , Descending order ( K Na Ca Mg Al [C] Zn Fe Sn Pb [H] Cu Ag Au Pt ) Where Carbon and Hydrogen are included for comparison. Potassium is the most reactive while Platinum is the least.

And how does a base react with ammonium salts , for example NaOH + NH4NO3 --> NH3+H2O+NaNO3 I believe...

Hope I helped.

Reaction score
The Ultimate said:
...another example would be.. NH4Cl (aq) + NaOH (aq) ----> NaCl (aq) + H2O (l)+ NH3 (g)