• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mistake In Biology!!!????

Am I right?!! is this Piece of information wrong!!!??

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I was Studying Biology ((Digestive System)) to be exact when I countered this piece of information:
The Food that comes out of the stomach is full of HCL <<< An acid which would eat the cells since its corrosive, thats why in the pancreatic juice there is hydrogen carbonate <<<Alkali that neutralises it

Now that would have been fine, but i took earlier in Chemistry that any acid + Alkali must give a salt so in this case, Sodim Chloride will form from HCL and H2CO3

now also Bile Salts is added to this food which again is considered a salt

now in the large intestine when the food reaches it isnt there bacteria that take some food to give us Vitamin K???!!! but since this remaining food ((or faeces in this case)) be so salty from NACL and bile salts that the water potential in the faeces is so low, so low that when the bacteria touches it (or gets in it), the water inside the bacteria moves by Osmosis Into the Faeces and therfore the Bacteria Dies!!!!! so how do these bacteria live and give us Vitamin K!!!
this is so confusing can anyone help please

Reaction score
Farouk

Getting Vitamin K from Faeces ! o_O

The Food inside the Stomach is acidic chyme.This acidity kills bacteria and provides a PH for the enzyme to function.The Foood enters the Small Intestine where it is Further digested by different juices to be broken down in their Simple Product and further it reaches the Large intestine where water is absorbed from the digestive Substance.

Bile Salt has no Part in digestion.

Acid and Alkali Makes a Neutralization reaction. ( I think so)

Reaction score
Yes
We Have Bacteria in our Large Intestine That takes its food from the faeces and gives us Vitamin K
how can these bacteria function in such a salty Environment!!!
also i know all these information you gave but thanks anyways :D

Reaction score
and actually bile salts emulsifies the fats so it DOES have a role in digestion, without bile salts, the lipase enzyme cannot digest these fats

Reaction score
Actually salt does not affect the conditions of reaction I think. It is not a limiting reactant so the bacteria can function properly.
As for water potential, when neutralization takes place water is also formed which balances the salt if it is produced.
1. HCl in our body is not concentrated or it would erode away our stomach walls that are made of protien.
2. Most of the salts, along with the water are absorbed by the body in the small and large intestines so they do not go to waste in huge amounts.
3. The bacteria present in our body would have definitely adapted itself to the body conditions, pH and water potential. So they are safe and healthy don't worry.
4. I didn't understand your question.

Reaction score
Actually salt does not affect the conditions of reaction I think. It is not a limiting reactant so the bacteria can function properly.
As for water potential, when neutralization takes place water is also formed which balances the salt if it is produced.
1. HCl in our body is not concentrated or it would erode away our stomach walls that are made of protien.
2. Most of the salts, along with the water are absorbed by the body in the small and large intestines so they do not go to waste in huge amounts.
3. The bacteria present in our body would have definitely adapted itself to the body conditions, pH and water potential. So they are safe and healthy don't worry.
4. I didn't understand your question.
You just did :D thanks and Answered

Reaction score
3. The bacteria present in our body would have definitely adapted itself to the body conditions, pH and water potential. So they are safe and healthy don't worry..

Hahaha... :p
Concerned about the bacterias :D

Reaction score
Hahaha... :p
Concerned about the bacterias :D
:D its not ...Concerned... its just i like to go deep into stuff and couldn't figure out how they might survive this salty environment, else this would have been ""a mistake in biology""" the heading of the thread :D
but i did forget that with neutralization comes water too like mars-on-earth said which will keep the waterpotential constant
@Mars-on-Earth you rock :D
@robinhoodmustafa :D
thanks everyone

Reaction score
:D its not ...Concerned... its just i like to go deep into stuff and couldn't figure out how they might survive this salty environment, else this would have been ""a mistake in biology""" the heading of the thread :D
but i did forget that with neutralization comes water too like mars-on-earth said which will keep the waterpotential constant
@Mars-on-Earth you rock :D
@robinhoodmustafa :D
thanks everyone
:LOL:.
But What happens to the Vitamin K?

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I was Studying Biology ((Digestive System)) to be exact when I countered this piece of information:
The Food that comes out of the stomach is full of HCL <<< An acid which would eat the cells since its corrosive, thats why in the pancreatic juice there is hydrogen carbonate <<<Alkali that neutralises it

Now that would have been fine, but i took earlier in Chemistry that any acid + Alkali must give a salt so in this case, Sodim Chloride will form from HCL and H2CO3

now also Bile Salts is added to this food which again is considered a salt

now in the large intestine when the food reaches it isnt there bacteria that take some food to give us Vitamin K???!!! but since this remaining food ((or faeces in this case)) be so salty from NACL and bile salts that the water potential in the faeces is so low, so low that when the bacteria touches it (or gets in it), the water inside the bacteria moves by Osmosis Into the Faeces and therfore the Bacteria Dies!!!!! so how do these bacteria live and give us Vitamin K!!!
this is so confusing can anyone help please

The bacteria you are talking about is Escherichia Coli and here is how it survives in the large intestine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6339389

Reaction score
But Ecoli is harmful to the body, not useful like others in the large intestine. Ecoli is excreted out...

E.Coli can sometime malfunction and cause food poisoning but in reality it is a symbiotic bacteria (meaning it benefits the human body in return of using it's food to stay alive).