• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Medicine subjects...

NIM

Reaction score
guys can any1 tell me which all subjects do i need to take (HL & SL) in IB diploma for Medicine field...
every help will b appreciated...

Reaction score
You would definitely need Chemistry HL and Biology HL I think. Math SL would be alright I guess and the rest don't matter as long as you have Chem and Bio.
I'm also going for medicine and this is my subject choice -
  • Chemistry HL
  • Biology HL
  • Psychology HL
  • Math SL
  • English SL
  • Spanish Ab Initio

NIM

Reaction score
thnx dude!!!
em taking..
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Physics HL
Maths SL
English A1 SL
French Ab Initio...
will these sub ok...

Reaction score
thnx dude!!!
em taking..
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Physics HL
Maths SL
English A1 SL
French Ab Initio...
will these sub ok...

Math or English HL might be more useful for this field rather than physics, but that's just what I think.

NIM

Reaction score
dude i wanna leave a option fr engineering also...

Reaction score
dude i wanna leave a option fr engineering also...
It's impossible to take 3 sciences in IB, so you can't be taking chem, bio and physics at HL :p For medicine all you need is chemistry to be quite honest. Biology is a subject based on memorising alone, and you are retaught everything again in uni when you study medicine. For a top uni for medicine would highly recommend higher maths. Also, the fact that you want to take higher physics and not maths to "leave an option for engineering" proves that you haven't done any research. For engineering, higher maths and physics are compulsory. So, to summarise what i mean: if you're thinking of medicine and engineering, your HL options should be maths, physics, chemistry and there is no other option. Your SL options can be anything you like

NIM

Reaction score
It's impossible to take 3 sciences in IB, so you can't be taking chem, bio and physics at HL :p For medicine all you need is chemistry to be quite honest. Biology is a subject based on memorising alone, and you are retaught everything again in uni when you study medicine. For a top uni for medicine would highly recommend higher maths. Also, the fact that you want to take higher physics and not maths to "leave an option for engineering" proves that you haven't done any research. For engineering, higher maths and physics are compulsory. So, to summarise what i mean: if you're thinking of medicine and engineering, your HL options should be maths, physics, chemistry and there is no other option. Your SL options can be anything you like
thnx a lot dude...
i will think abut it once again ... actually now i dont like maths ... i dont know y till grade 10 i was used to love maths....
3 sub in IB means ir-regular IB and i dont know someone told me to send the letter to the uni where i wanna go...

Reaction score

Then again, it depends on where he wants to go study. If its the UK you want to go study at then the subjects he's recommended are probably the best option if you want to leave Medicine and Engineering open.
If it's the US, Medicine comes AFTER 4 years of undergrad, and for medicine in the US, you can major in anything you want as long as you have the prerequisite courses completed ( Specific courses of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus in college ) As long as you have courses somewhat relevant, your IB subjects shouldn't matter all that much when it comes to applying for med school.

NIM

Reaction score
Then again, it depends on where he wants to go study. If its the UK you want to go study at then the subjects he's recommended are probably the best option if you want to leave Medicine and Engineering open.
If it's the US, Medicine comes AFTER 4 years of undergrad, and for medicine in the US, you can major in anything you want as long as you have the prerequisite courses completed ( Specific courses of Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Calculus in college ) As long as you have courses somewhat relevant, your IB subjects shouldn't matter all that much when it comes to applying for med school.
i am looking to apply fr some london med college....
May be imperial college bt i didnt understand its requirement it says... ' Maths HL'....

Reaction score
Yeah Moostafa this conversation would be pointless if he would be studying in the US as his IB subjects wouldn't really matter. It's obvious he wants UK. And yes NIM, you need higher maths for a top school like imperial (top 10 in the world or something), coz lets face it doctors have to be smart and biology really isn't the kind of subject that challenges you on an intellectual level and proves you're intelligent.

Reaction score
Apart from that, man I don't mean to criticise you, but engineering and medicine are 2 VERY different fields. How is it possible that you are between the two? You should have a basic idea of what you want to do, by now as this will help you have a more stable 2 years. I feel that you haven't given this much thought or youre motivated by the financial rewards of these 2 fields, or you are influenced by an external source. Do what you love. Your dilemmas right now should be (for example) "what type of engineering do i want to do" NOT "will i do law/business/medicine/engineering/politics/economics?" :p Also, if you don't like maths forget about engineering to be honest. The field IS the use of maths and physics in everyday life :p

NIM

Reaction score
Apart from that, man I don't mean to criticise you, but engineering and medicine are 2 VERY different fields. How is it possible that you are between the two? You should have a basic idea of what you want to do, by now as this will help you have a more stable 2 years. I feel that you haven't given this much thought or youre motivated by the financial rewards of these 2 fields, or you are influenced by an external source. Do what you love. Your dilemmas right now should be (for example) "what type of engineering do i want to do" NOT "will i do law/business/medicine/engineering/politics/economics?" :p Also, if you don't like maths forget about engineering to be honest. The field IS the use of maths and physics in everyday life :p
thnx a lot dude fr such a great help...
bt imperial college requires Math HL ... which now i dont lik it...
and i really wanna apply fr Imperial college...:D

Reaction score
hhahhaa dont mention it my friend :) I want to do engineering myself and have older siblings so I know quite a bit. Look I'll advise you one thing for now: decide what you want to do for sure and just make up your mind. Also, ok imperial is a top college, but apply to the uni in which you think you'll have a good time, while at the same time making important connections for your future career. Don't make the huge mistake of applying to a college because of its status if you think you won't like it there. We don't pick unis and then courses, we pick courses and then see which unis offer them. If you're a top student and you can cope, why not? But don't fall into the trap of being miserable for 4 whole years (engineering) and a billion years (medicine), just so you can say "i went to imperial" :p

NIM

Reaction score
hhahhaa dont mention it my friend :) I want to do engineering myself and have older siblings so I know quite a bit. Look I'll advise you one thing for now: decide what you want to do for sure and just make up your mind. Also, ok imperial is a top college, but apply to the uni in which you think you'll have a good time, while at the same time making important connections for your future career. Don't make the huge mistake of applying to a college because of its status if you think you won't like it there. We don't pick unis and then courses, we pick courses and then see which unis offer them. If you're a top student and you can cope, why not? But don't fall into the trap of being miserable for 4 whole years (engineering) and a billion years (medicine), just so you can say "i went to imperial" :p
yeh i know rite ... rite now i shud think abut the sub and IB .....
dude i have another question whats the difference b/w GCSE and A'levels...

Reaction score
Are you asking me personally?? It's another level. A-levels are made for 18 year olds, GCSE's are made for 16 year olds