• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

mechanics paper 51

Reaction score
By taking the sigma of forces in y direction the equation will cancel leaving R on a side of the equation=0

Reaction score
T=lambda(X)/l
then you find the angle T makes with the vertical
you know that the length of string was 0.8 and the height of A above B was 0.6 so you find the angle T makes with vertical and resolve

Reaction score
umm guys remember that question where u had to find the weight of the lamina in the first page..i think it was the second part of the question..was the lamina hinged at A or not ? from where we had to take moments ?

Reaction score
Was it 1 ?
You did it 1 !! YES YES YES ! I did it 1 too , do u think that's right ?
I did the EPE in P's first position as zero ,and in the second position EPE=(lambda.0.3square)/1.4 and got 1 ,but the answer being a whole number , nd "one" ,wasn't very convincing for mechanics (A) I expected decimals , as usual .............and the mu (u) in the nxt part was 0.5 ,isnt it ?

I spent more than 15 mins on this Q alone :p (A)

Reaction score
I
I think it's about A , wasn't it hanged about A ? :D
it was hinged at A when it was at an angle to the vertical but then in the second part they said its back to its original position vertically..does that mean its not hinged anymore? really i got confused :S

Reaction score
it was hinged at A when it was at an angle to the vertical but then in the second part they said its back to its original position vertically..does that mean its not hinged anymore? really i got confused :S

it was about A (or B maybe) but not about O because this is how it looked lyk >>>

D

so CoM about A

Reaction score
You can take moments about any point.....
the semi circle was vertical on a plane and the 6N force applied at point (A) point of contact was at an angle 45...
so if u take it about A that force would cancel and you wont be able to find the weight..

Reaction score
You can take moments about any point.....
the semi circle was vertical on a plane and the 6N force applied at point (A) point of contact was at an angle 45...
so if u take it about A that force would cancel and you wont be able to find the weight..
lisan remember the lamina was hinged..but in the next part of the question when we were asked to find the the weight of the lamina it wasn't hinged right ? or what ? was it still hinged at point A ? :S:S