• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mechanics 1 P42 2014; Discussion!

Reaction score
No the answer is 15.5 N.
net froce is equal to 13.5 N
What about the weight then? Had they given us some data about the sides of the object, density of water etc, then we would have considered the resultant of weight - upthrust. However there was no such data. How would you propose then that we should just ignore the weight?

Reaction score
What about the weight then? Had they given us some data about the sides of the object, density of water etc, then we would have considered the resultant of weight - upthrust. However there was no such data. How would you propose then that we should just ignore the weight?
u already know that from R since R is the net frictional and viscous forces on the object calced before this q to be 15.5 N.after this to find tension:T-mg-R=ma which gives T=17.59 N.

Reaction score
u already know that from R since R is the net frictional and viscous forces on the object calced before this q to be 15.5 N.after this to find tension:T-mg-R=ma which gives T=17.59 N.
Tension? What does tension have to do with our question? Furthermore, there is difference between upward thrust and viscous forces. They just told us to find the frictional forces from what i remember

Reaction score
From what i know, you can write the equation in two ways
You can use
R - W = ma if you want to put deacceleration as positive value
W - R = -ma You put the value of a to be negative.
Both give 17.5N
So W = 2N and ma = (0.2)(67.5) = 13.5
so R = W + ma = 2 + 13.5 = 15.5
i am sorry if I sound sarcastic, but where is the 17.5?
I sued the equation u suggested and I stil got 15.5

We DID take the weight into account.

Reaction score
So W = 2N and ma = (0.2)(67.5) = 13.5
so R = W + ma = 2 + 13.5 = 15.5
i am sorry if I sound sarcastic, but where is the 17.5?
I sued the equation u suggested and I stil got 15.5

We DID take the weight into account.
K seriously! Facepalm :3 I just checked my answer list and i have 15.5 :eek: I think I have been mixing it up with the second part :eek: :eek: :eek: Sorry Sorry Sorry :eek:

Reaction score
are you sure it was -6? i just asked the ques from my sir and he said that when B reaches the floor the o.25 kg mass travels up due opto the velocity gained by it hence the tensions in both the strings become slack.. therefore the deceleration of the 0.5 kg mass (p) would be equal to Reaction force into coefficient of friction i.e 5 x 0.4 = (0.5) a. which gives a to be 4 .. ps my answer was -6 too . and do you by any chance remember what the ques was worth becuase i dont think it was worth only two marks..