• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths p6 problem in normal and binomial distribution.. :(

Reaction score
Hey guys here i am again asking the same question again lol.. :/
I have a severe confusion in normal distribution and binomial distribution.. :'(
i mainly have problem identiifying when to apply continuity in conversion from binomial to normal. and this is as i've figured out mainly because i dont know the major differences b/w the normal distribution and binomial distribution.. so can someone please explain to me the major differences b/w them which help solve continuity problems..
thanks guys i have my exam day after tomorrow ur help would really mean alott..
Thanks again.....

Reaction score
when the mean/ average/ np is greater than 5, you go for normal distribution, if its less, you go for binomial --> thats one trick!
Also, when the number of trials "n" is constant and the probablity of success is constant, "p" you go for binomial

Reaction score
when the mean/ average/ np is greater than 5, you go for normal distribution, if its less, you go for binomial --> thats one trick!
Also, when the number of trials "n" is constant and the probablity of success is constant, "p" you go for binomial
somewhere in another thread a person answered this question and his words were
"it is applied when u are approximating binomial as a normal distribution.....the question will ask to use a binomial to normal approximation or if a very large number of trials are done.....then u should use normal distribution"
so my question is is this correct? i mean this looks simple enough when the keyword approximation is used in the question u apply this. is this way correct? will the examiner always use this keyword when we are expected to apply continuity correction?
thanks alott for ur helpp.. :)

Reaction score
"it is applied when u are approximating binomial as a normal distribution.....the question will ask to use a binomial to normal approximation or if a very large number of trials are done.....then u should use normal distribution"
so my question is is this correct? i mean this looks simple enough when the keyword approximation is used in the question u apply this. is this way correct? will the examiner always use this keyword when we are expected to apply continuity correction?

there are a few question where they ask u to use the appropriate approximation that is when u have to convert binomial to normal.
So, I guess this person is correct but they do not make it direct all the time. At times u have to figure it out.

Reaction score
its almost always mentioned in the question, but then sometimes, you just have to figure it out, its annoying i know, and yea, the kid is right, you use the normal distribution when the number of trials are large!