• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths p6 normal distribution.. :(

Reaction score
Hey guys i need help i have my p6 on the 24th and i really have problems solving normal distribution questions. :/
I dont know when to apply limits in a normal distribution and i dont understand when we subtract the calculated probability through z-score from 1. Also if anyone has notes on this topic which cover the syllabus points and the points stated above please share.. :)
im really tensed abt the exam since my p1 didnt go as expected. :(
Please help guys

Reaction score
Hey guys i need help i have my p6 on the 24th and i really have problems solving normal distribution questions. :/
I dont know when to apply limits in a normal distribution and i dont understand when we subtract the calculated probability through z-score from 1. Also if anyone has notes on this topic which cover the syllabus points and the points stated above please share.. :)
im really tensed abt the exam since my p1 didnt go as expected. :(
Please help guys

You use limits when you approximate a Binomial Distribution to a Normal Distribution. ~continuity corrections

Check out this website. It'll help for sure. - http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Cheers!

Reaction score
You use limits when you approximate a Binomial Distribution to a Normal Distribution. ~continuity corrections

Check out this website. It'll help for sure. - http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Cheers!
Hi there.. thanks alot for the website it really did clear up some of the basic concepts of this topic. however i still cant figure the whole continuity thing and when to apply it. also what is the difference b/w binomial distribution and normal distribution? :/

look at the question i uploaded for example. how do i know i have to apply limits in this question?
Can u please explain this question to me? also if there is any tutorial on continuity please tell me.. it'd really help me alot. Thanksss..

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 16

Jaf

Reaction score
Hi there.. thanks alot for the website it really did clear up some of the basic concepts of this topic. however i still cant figure the whole continuity thing and when to apply it. also what is the difference b/w binomial distribution and normal distribution? :/

look at the question i uploaded for example. how do i know i have to apply limits in this question?
Can u please explain this question to me? also if there is any tutorial on continuity please tell me.. it'd really help me alot. Thanksss..
Memorize this rule: Use end correction whenever you're changing from binomial distribution to normal distribution. That is, wherever you use normal approximation. (like in the question below)

Probability of getting an underweight apple = 2/15
Therefore, p = 2/15, q = 13/15 (where q is the probability of NOT getting an underweight apple; we get it by 1-p)

We're choosing apples from a random sample of 200 apples. So n = 200.
We now know X ~ B (200 , 2/15)
[this is read as: variable 'X' follows binomial distribution with parameters 200 (trials) and 2/15 (probability)]

We want the probability of getting more than 21 and less than 35 underweight apples.
So P(21<X<35) = ?

If you were to apply the binomial theorem here, your calculation would be accurate but it would become tedious and there is a chance you'd make an error. (try doing it if you don't get why)
So you use normal approximation here.
Check is np and nq are greater than 5 (as that is a condition that needs to be fulfilled before we can normally approximate)
np = 80/3 , nq = 520/3 (both are greater)

Let's take a new variable 'V'.
V ~ N (np , npq)
[this is read as: variable 'V' follows normal distribution with parameters np (mean) and npq (variance)]
Put in the values of np and npq.
V ~ N (80/3 , 208/9)

Now comes the continuity correction. We can't write P(21<V<35). Every time a variable is greater than a number, you add 0.5 to it. Just remember this and you'll easily remember the argument for < and ≥ will be the converse (that is you'll have to subtract for 0.5 for these signs).
So we need to find P(21+0.5 < V < 35 - 0.5) = P(21.5<V<34.5)
Standardize it. Z ~ N (0,1)
Put in the formula, Z = (V - mean)/square root of variance)
I can't show that here because of the lack of proper signs. :S

If you do this correctly, you'll get P(-1.075<Z<1.629).
This is = P(Z<1.629) - (1 - P(Z<1.075)) = 0.9483 - 1 + 0.8589 = 0.807!! :D
(yes, there's immense joy when you get a sensible answer in normal distribution :p )

Reaction score
Memorize this rule: Use end correction whenever you're changing from binomial distribution to normal distribution. That is, wherever you use normal approximation. (like in the question below)

Probability of getting an underweight apple = 2/15
Therefore, p = 2/15, q = 13/15 (where q is the probability of NOT getting an underweight apple; we get it by 1-p)

We're choosing apples from a random sample of 200 apples. So n = 200.
We now know X ~ B (200 , 2/15)
[this is read as: variable 'X' follows binomial distribution with parameters 200 (trials) and 2/15 (probability)]

We want the probability of getting more than 21 and less than 35 underweight apples.
So P(21<X<35) = ?

If you were to apply the binomial theorem here, your calculation would be accurate but it would become tedious and there is a chance you'd make an error. (try doing it if you don't get why)
So you use normal approximation here.
Check is np and nq are greater than 5 (as that is a condition that needs to be fulfilled before we can normally approximate)
np = 80/3 , nq = 520/3 (both are greater)

Let's take a new variable 'V'.
V ~ N (np , npq)
[this is read as: variable 'V' follows normal distribution with parameters np (mean) and npq (variance)]
Put in the values of np and npq.
V ~ N (80/3 , 208/9)

Now comes the continuity correction. We can't write P(21<V<35). Every time a variable is greater than a number, you add 0.5 to it. Just remember this and you'll easily remember the argument for < and ≥ will be the converse (that is you'll have to subtract for 0.5 for these signs).
So we need to find P(21+0.5 < V < 35 - 0.5) = P(21.5<V<34.5)
Standardize it. Z ~ N (0,1)
Put in the formula, Z = (V - mean)/square root of variance)
I can't show that here because of the lack of proper signs. :S

If you do this correctly, you'll get P(-1.075<Z<1.629).
This is = P(Z<1.629) - (1 - P(Z<1.075)) = 0.9483 - 1 + 0.8589 = 0.807!! :D
(yes, there's immense joy when you get a sensible answer in normal distribution :p )
haha, thanks for explaining it to him, saved me time! :p

And the joy bit - i so agree.
Thank you for ur help guys really it helped me so much it all is much clear now.. with ur help i have able to identify the major problem im facing.. :D
that problem in i have serious trouble in identifying when to approximate from binomial to normal distribution.. take the question given above which u solved for example.. how do i know this is not binomially distributed but is normally distributed? :/
I know my questions sound totally stupid but my maths teacher didnt tell me most of this stuff so i have to seek help elsewhere.. and i have my p6 the day after tomorrow.. GOD HELP ME.. :'(