• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths P1 urgent help..!

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain significant figures??? I don't have any idea about it..

Reaction score
answering in significant number means that you dont writing the exact digit instead you answer in a specific number of digits. Example if the a number is 9998 and you have to convert it to one significant number so the answer will be 1000. A zero which comes after a number is not aconsidered to be a number but a zero that comes between a number is considered to be a significant number. Example 2009 has 4 significant numbers while 2900 has 2 significant numbers.
Hope you got it. If you didnt then i could give you a more detailed explanation

Reaction score
ibadsiddiqi said:
answering in significant number means that you dont writing the exact digit instead you answer in a specific number of digits. Example if the a number is 9998 and you have to convert it to one significant number so the answer will be 1000. A zero which comes after a number is not aconsidered to be a number but a zero that comes between a number is considered to be a significant number. Example 2009 has 4 significant numbers while 2900 has 2 significant numbers.
Hope you got it. If you didnt then i could give you a more detailed explanation

what about significant figures in decimals??

Reaction score
if a number is 0.0567, then correct to 2 decimal place its gonna be 0.057. Significant figures in decimals is answering to a significant number of decimal places. e.g, 0.029 correct to 2 decimal places is 0.03.
here is a question:
a) Express correct to two significant figures:
i)386.71
ii)0.02049

b) hence estimate correct to one significant figure, the value of 386.1 x 0.02049

so the answer of part a) i) is 390 and ii) is 0.02
the answer of b) is 390 x 0.020= 7.8= 8

hope you understand now :)

Reaction score
Adnan,
significant figures in decimals have the same concept.
If it says to write
0.048 to one significant figure, then ignore the 0's that come before 4. It will become 0.05.

Similarly, if there is a zero between the number then it goes like this:

Q: How many significant figures are there in the number below?

Then, we will consider only the numbers after 0, therefore, the answer will be '6' significant figures. The '0' between 5 and 2 will be counted as it is in between.

Reaction score
rafae said:
Adnan,
significant figures in decimals have the same concept.
If it says to write
0.048 to one significant figure, then ignore the 0's that come before 4. It will become 0.05.

Similarly, if there is a zero between the number then it goes like this:

Q: How many significant figures are there in the number below?

Then, we will consider only the numbers after 0, therefore, the answer will be '6' significant figures. The '0' between 5 and 2 will be counted as it is in between.

oh got it.. :) thanks both of u

0.05 is 2 significant figures??? isn't it??

Reaction score
yes its one........zero on left arent counted as s.f........... e.g. 0.00005 z also one sf .....but 0.560 is 3 sf ............ hope m correct