• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

MATHS MECHANICS HELP PLEASE!!!!

Reaction score
Can you please do question b and explain how you did it. I looked at the mark scheme but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Two dogs, Fido and Growler, are playing in a field. Fido is moving in a straight line so that at time t his position vector relative to a fixed origin, O, is given by [(2t – 3)i + tj] metres. Growler is stationary at the point with position vector (2i + 5j) metres, where i and j are horizontal perpendicular unit vectors. (a) Find the displacement vector of Fido from Growler in terms of t. (2 marks)
(b) Find the value of t for which the two dogs are closest. (6 marks)
(c) Find the minimum distance between the two dogs.o dogs.

Reaction score
Can you please do question b and explain how you did it. I looked at the mark scheme but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Two dogs, Fido and Growler, are playing in a field. Fido is moving in a straight line so that at time t his position vector relative to a fixed origin, O, is given by [(2t – 3)i + tj] metres. Growler is stationary at the point with position vector (2i + 5j) metres, where i and j are horizontal perpendicular unit vectors. (a) Find the displacement vector of Fido from Growler in terms of t. (2 marks)
(b) Find the value of t for which the two dogs are closest. (6 marks)
(c) Find the minimum distance between the two dogs.o dogs.

okay buddy here it is..it took me A LOT of time to figure it out ill try to explain

a) the question basically asks the displacement vector GF so:
{(2t-3)i +t j} - (2i+5j) = (2t-5)i + (t-5)j

b) u need to find the time when the two dogs are the closest so whenever u spot something like closest..biggest..it should ring that aha i need to complete the square of an equation and as you have the displacemnt vector u know that distance is the magnitude of diplacement therefore use phythagoras theorm like so:
d^2= (2t-5)^2 + (t-5)^2
d^2= 5t^2 -30t +50 (take 5 as a common factor)
d^2= 5(t^2-6t+10) now complete the square
d^2=5{(t-3)^2 +1}
hence the time when they two dogs are closest is when t=3

c)Now that you have found the time when the two dogs are closest,u get the idea that 'hey!check it out closest distance=minimum distance!'

so just substitute value of t into the displacement vector GF
and you get (i-2j)
now all thats left is to use phaythagoras theorm to calculate the distance
like we did earlier
d^2= {(1)^2} + (-2)^2
d^2=5
therefore d=square root 5 which is equal to 2.236 =2.24m (3s.f)

IT TOOK ME A WHOLLLLE DAY AND WHEN I CHECKED THE MARKSKCHEME I WAS LIKE AHHHHHHHHHH...NOW I GET IT
SO DO YOU GET IT,IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT FEEL FREE TO ASK..THOUGH I MIGHT REPLY A BIT LATE

Reaction score
d^2=5{(t-3)^2 +1}
how did you complete the square wouldn't you get -1 and you can't get the square root of a negative number

Reaction score
d^2=5{(t-3)^2 +1}
how did you complete the square wouldn't you get -1 and you can't get the square root of a negative number
no basically you cant solve it this is just like finding the minimum point or maximum point in a quadratcic curve remember what you there
you complete the square of the quadratic but you cannt say y=0,so u say the minmium point is(opposite sign of the x,same value of y) and here we are only concerned about the x value becoz(t-3) so t=3, u cannot complete the square to bget two solutions becoz u do not know what id the value of d^2 .

Reaction score
which exam is this question in?
it is from a solomon paper
no basically you cant solve it this is just like finding the minimum point or maximum point in a quadratcic curve remember what you there
you complete the square of the quadratic but you cannt say y=0,so u say the minmium point is(opposite sign of the x,same value of y) and here we are only concerned about the x value becoz(t-3) so t=3, u cannot complete the square to bget two solutions becoz u do not know what id the value of d^2 .
thank you so much, you're a life saver :)

Reaction score
okay buddy here it is..it took me A LOT of time to figure it out ill try to explain

a) the question basically asks the displacement vector GF so:
{(2t-3)i +t j} - (2i+5j) = (2t-5)i + (t-5)j

b) u need to find the time when the two dogs are the closest so whenever u spot something like closest..biggest..it should ring that aha i need to complete the square of an equation and as you have the displacemnt vector u know that distance is the magnitude of diplacement therefore use phythagoras theorm like so:
d^2= (2t-5)^2 + (t-5)^2
d^2= 5t^2 -30t +50 (take 5 as a common factor)
d^2= 5(t^2-6t+10) now complete the square
d^2=5{(t-3)^2 +1}
hence the time when they two dogs are closest is when t=3

c)Now that you have found the time when the two dogs are closest,u get the idea that 'hey!check it out closest distance=minimum distance!'

so just substitute value of t into the displacement vector GF
and you get (i-2j)
now all thats left is to use phaythagoras theorm to calculate the distance
like we did earlier
d^2= {(1)^2} + (-2)^2
d^2=5
therefore d=square root 5 which is equal to 2.236 =2.24m (3s.f)

IT TOOK ME A WHOLLLLE DAY AND WHEN I CHECKED THE MARKSKCHEME I WAS LIKE AHHHHHHHHHH...NOW I GET IT
SO DO YOU GET IT,IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT FEEL FREE TO ASK..THOUGH I MIGHT REPLY A BIT LATE
man u ar genius!!(y)