• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Almost understood it.
giphy.gif
do you know that with your every post, your own signature calls it bullshit? :p

Reaction score
How do you find if 2 lines are perpendicular to each other given vectors?
U cant directly find them if they r perpendicular... i.e a+2b for instance ...coz tht will yield to a new vector tht cant be expressed as a scalar multiple of the said vector,no specific rule for this coz a and b can vary in dir and size
to do this we need to find these vectors in terms of their components I and j and then u cud simply carry out the gradient formula...

Reaction score
U cant directly find them if they r perpendicular... i.e a+2b for instance ...coz tht will yield to a new vector tht cant be expressed as a scalar multiple of the said vector,no specific rule for this coz a and b can vary in dir and size
to do this we need to find these vectors in terms of their components I and j and then u cud simply carry out the gradient formula...
can u explain thoroughly with an example ..
or from a question in the past paper.....

Reaction score
That's the problem. I still haven't mastered mensuration. Get stuck sometimes on the boat/lighthouse questions etc. It involves decimals and carrying them onto further questions and all. Not the easiest - you can't really be sure if you got it right or not.
Yeah,its in points so no sure way of knowing its right

PS,the torrent you gave me i downloaded,but the setup is stuck at 99% :mad:

Reaction score
Reaction score
Look at the doc first
So now we can find the gradient of a+b take its inverse reciprocal to find the perp line gradient which will be -4/3 and we can simply identify its unit vectors i.e perp a+b =3i-4j or the vector perp can also be 4j -3i
can u explain thoroughly with an example ..
or from a question in the past paper.....
Well the question was raised by FLRNAB though I cud not find it in past pprs

Attachments

• 14011790536270.gif
    14011790536270.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Look at the doc first
So now we can find the gradient of a+b take its inverse reciprocal to find the perp line gradient which will be -4/3 and we can simply identify its unit vectors i.e perp a+b =3i-4j or the vector perp can also be 4j -3i

Well the question was raised by FLRNAB though I cud not find it in past pprs
I forgot a bit about vectors?Where do we use inverse of vector like change all signs to opposite?I remember we did that but i dont remember where?....

Reaction score
I wrote that the large piston has a larger area..
So the volume displaced by the movement of the smaller piston.. will force the large piston to move by a smaller distance to accommodate the same volume :/

I'm wrong :(
You are absolutely correct :) Oil is an INCOMPRESSIBLE liquid. It's volume is FIXED. The larger piston and smaller piston displace the samevolume of oil. As the larger piston has a larger are, it moves lesser distance than the smaller one @darkdestination

Reaction score
That's the problem. I still haven't mastered mensuration. Get stuck sometimes on the boat/lighthouse questions etc. It involves decimals and carrying them onto further questions and all. Not the easiest - you can't really be sure if you got it right or not.
Hey you could save the values on your calculator if you're carrying them forward
That's what the 'A' 'B' 'C's are for on the calculator
I do that and always get the exact Marking Scheme answer xD