• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Maths, Addmaths and Statistics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Thanks. But still - can you just tell me the possible equations?

Like y=x^2 etc etc? Coz Googling them gives A Level/SAT answers. Google Graphs will sketch the equation into the graph - but I need to know the equations! :)
Damn that's gonna take too much time, :p check out the book that Ahmed told you. D4 or something . They have graphs there . I've seen them.:)

Reaction score
GRAPHS.png

How are you supposed to do these questions? Don't just tell me the answers - tell how did you solve this. I know nothing on these questions :p
Equation of a straight line y=mx+c

a) y=x^3
Lets put a few points here.
let x be -2 then y = -8
Let x be 0 then y = 0 Only figure 6
Let x be -1 then y = -1
Let x be 1 then y = 1
let x be 2 then y = 8

b) y = 1/x^2
let x be -2 then y = -1/8
let x be -1 then y = -1
let x be zero then y is undefined so this won't be a point on the graph ie y-axis and x-axis is not touched so fig 4 and 1
let x be 1 then y = 1
let x be 2 the y = 1/8

Observation:
x = -1, y = -1
x = 1, y = 1
Only fig 1 shows this

c) y=x -1
so -1 is y-intercept. Only 2 figures 5 and 2
coefficient of x is positive so gradient is positive. Only 1 figure 2

Reaction score
In rotation does the orientation of the shape changes? I mean from anticlockwise to clockwise? In reflection it does ,right?
Yes, it does change in both.
No orientation means order of the shape i.e ABC,in reflection it might become ACB but in rotation it just changes it position and direction but not orientation,if we look at it from another angle it will still be ABC.

Reaction score
Whaaaaat! o_O I think it doesn't. We'll then how are we supposed to know the difference between the two?

It depends on the shape. If it's a square being reflected, then no change in orientation..
But if its a triangle with unequal sides or something, it will become laterally inverted.. That's for reflection!

But for rotation, it turns, depending on the angle of rotation.